Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC and NS-ESA

Adam Evenson
forum member

Blackpool Centre For Unemployed

Send message

Total Posts: 244

Hi,

Completed a NS-ESA form for a client and had intended to complete a UC claim (not fully completed yet - still waiting on final earnings). He’s had a meeting with his ESA work coach who said he wouldn’t be entitled to Universal Credit at all (no reasons given).

Can anyone shed any light on why they have said this? I explained obviously that ESA would be deducted from UC claim. He has no savings or additional earnings past the final earnings?

He will also be most likely entitled to the LCWRA element aswell

Thanks,

Adam

[ Edited: 19 Aug 2024 at 11:16 am by Adam Evenson ]
Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3260

I dunno. Maybe your client is subject to a “No Recourse to Public Funds” condition. Maybe they don’t have any housing costs and their UC would just be nilled by the nsESA. Maybe the ESA adviser is just wrong.

I would generally encourage advisers to have confidence in their own assessment of the situation and ignore this kind of thing.

Adam Evenson
forum member

Send message

Elliot Kent - 19 August 2024 11:15 AM

I dunno. Maybe your client is subject to a “No Recourse to Public Funds” condition. Maybe they don’t have any housing costs and their UC would just be nilled by the nsESA. Maybe the ESA adviser is just wrong.

I would generally encourage advisers to have confidence in their own assessment of the situation and ignore this kind of thing.

No issues with no recourse to public funds.

It could be the nsESA results him to nil award as currently no housing costs but that doesn’t seem to apply on 4-week months.

Would they be entitled to the LCWRA (obviously subject to passing WCA) or does ns-ESA bar that from happening?

Thanks

BCD
forum member

Kirklees council

Send message

Total Posts: 68

Yes, they will be entitled to UC + LCWRA minus NS ESA. Only one WCA is done for the 2 benefits

BCD
forum member

Kirklees council

Send message

Total Posts: 68

Deleted duplicate post

Adam Evenson
forum member

Send message

BCD - 19 August 2024 11:58 AM

Yes, they will be entitled to UC + LCWRA minus NS ESA. Only one WCA is done for the 2 benefits

Just to make sure I’m correct in this -  they would get UC Standard Allowance plus LCWRA which equals 809.64 with deductions for ns-ESA (approx £552 per 4 weeks)?

That leaves around £200-£300 UC in payment or have I miscalculated something?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3260

The deduction for ESA is averaged out by multiplying by 52 and dividing by 12 - it isn’t based on when the payments are actually made.

At the moment, assuming that they are 25+ and just getting basic rates with nothing complicated, they would get £90.50 pw ESA paid fortnightly and a monthly UC payment which would be calculated as the standard rate of £393.45 - ((52*£90.50)/12) = £1.28.

If they are assessed as LCWRA, then they will get £138.20 pw ESA paid fortnightly and a monthly UC payment which would be calculated as (£393.45 + £416.19) - ((52*£138.20)/12) = £210.77.

Adam Evenson
forum member

Send message

Elliot Kent - 19 August 2024 12:17 PM

The deduction for ESA is averaged out by multiplying by 52 and dividing by 12 - it isn’t based on when the payments are actually made.

At the moment, assuming that they are 25+ and just getting basic rates with nothing complicated, they would get £90.50 pw ESA paid fortnightly and a monthly UC payment which would be calculated as the standard rate of £393.45 - ((52*£90.50)/12) = £1.28.

If they are assessed as LCWRA, then they will get £138.20 pw ESA paid fortnightly and a monthly UC payment which would be calculated as (£393.45 + £416.19) - ((52*£138.20)/12) = £210.77.

So not a nil award! Thanks Elliot & BCD

Much appreciated!