Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

EMP reports, upper and lower limb function

Matthew Finch
forum member

Senior Welfare Rights Officer, Leicester City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 27

Hi,

Does anybody know about or have any information about how the upper and lower limb function scores are/should be given in an EMP’s report? The scale runs from 1 for full function to 4 for nil function.

I recently repped at a DLA appeal for a client with rheumatoid arthritis. His GP wrote a report which described the client’s condition as moderate to severe, describe him as having constant pains in hands wrists,elbows, unable to walk by the afternoon, ankles and right knee give way. I also got evidence from his consultant who confirmed he had been prescribed very strong medication and had arthromyalgia’s, predominantly pains in feet,lower back and hips.

The EMP report gave him a score of 1 (full function) for all limbs and joints!

in my submission I suggested that the EMP report’s findings were at odds with the GP and Consultant’s evidence. In the hearing the medical panel member gave me a hard time about this statement saying that the different opinions were not at odds with each other and that there were very specific medical definitions of what these scores were. Notwithstanding the argument to be had about weighing different evidence, I am interested to know what an EMP is supposed to assess to produce the different scores from 1-4.

Any pointers would be gratefully appreciated.