to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

DLA Life award

Lin
forum member

Benefit Appeal Advisor. National Deaf Children's Society

Send message

Total Posts: 1

Not sure if this issue has already been raised, I have a client who recieves DLA at MRC and LRM, and has done so for over 10 years, they are profoundly deaf and have now develpoped Epilepsey.
the original DLA decision notice gives the start date of the award and says “for life”.
will they have a legal defence against any changes to DLA and its replacement PIP.
I had always understood that the law cannot change a decision rectrospectively. and say yes youu had this award for life but we are now changing the criteria.

MarkRingsted
forum member

Macmillan Benefits South Essex

Send message

Total Posts: 20

A ‘life’ award has never meant life. Therefore it follows that they will be affected by PIP. From what I’ve read and heard ALL DLA claimants will be transferred at some point.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1004

If they have had MRC and LRM for years it will be difficult for the DWP to justify refusing PIP or whatever they will call it as long as they still have the same problems caused by their illness/disabilities. The main people who may suffer will be people on LRC as i think PIP will only have 2 care components.
As other advisers have said a lifetime award can be stopped at any time if the DWP feel they have good cause. Also very few lifetime awards being issued these days. No point really as they will be re-assessed for PIP anyway.
More scary times ahead me-thinks!
Arent you all sooooo pleased we now have a Conservative government again.