to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

R2R decision makers and the Scottish question

nick nicolson
forum member

homeless officer Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 50

R2R decisions are made in Wick. If Scotland decides on independence, can’‘t have English DWP having decicions made in a foreign country so they will have to be made redundant.

If they came down to England and applied for JSA would they have to pass the Habitual Resedence Test ?... but what would the immigration status be…. apparently not European… would they get the same status as Norwegans… not in EU but treated the same anyway… or would they become part of the Common travel area like Ireland.

Lets just start a youth unemployment scheme re-building Hadrian Wall.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2021

Would they claim refugee status because of a risk of discrimination having previously been employed by DWP?

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

It’s a good question actually.

I had thought Scotland would be treated much like Ireland- part of the common travel area- but of course, unless Scotland joins the EU, it gets complicated. I suppose in that case the Norway parallel is closer (or the Isle of Man? That’s a bit of a weird one too).

But does Wick still exist? (as it were). I was told by someone at the DWP districts complaint team recently that the Wick office is no more (or that they ain’t making RTR decisions any more anyway). In which case, the staff may have already disbursed by now.

past_caring
forum member

Welfare Benefits Casework Supervisor, Brixton Advice Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 87

1964 - 19 February 2014 08:09 AM

In which case, the staff may have already disbursed by now.

A bit early for them to be claiming asylum, given that Scotland isn’t a foreign country quite yet.

Although they do things differently….... ;)

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2955

It is actually a serious point, one of many which will have to be dealt with in negotiations if and when there is a Yes vote.  If Scotland ends up outside the EU or even the EEA, you would think that it would be in the interests of both Scotland and the remainder of the UK to agree a bilateral common travel area arrangement - we don’t want to have a situation where pepole need a visa to visit their relatives or even to go to work.  The business community in both countries would not stand for anything less.  And all those Rangers and Celtic fans who come across from Northern Ireland at the weekends would be hacked off if they got turned back by Scottish immigration officers at Stranraer.  So I don’t think there is any prospect whatsoever of Scotland ending up like a conventional non-EEA country vis-a-vis the UK.

The benefits hab res/R2R test (assuming such a thing is retained by Scotland and/or the UK) could be tweaked to say that the claimant needs to be habitually resident in the UK, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Channel Islands or Isle of Man, thus gaining Scots the same privileged status currently accorded to CI/IoM.  In Scotland the words might not appear in that order but a similar rule could apply if Scotland wants to control benefits for non-Scots in the same way the UK currently does.

There, serious answer because I couldn’t think of anything witty to say.