Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

2 and a quarter million JSA sanctions? Surely not!

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1004

Ive just read about the coalitions JSA sanction history.

Apparently since March 2010 there have been over 2 million of them.

Check link for those interested.

http://dpac.uk.net/2013/06/jsa-benefit-sanctions-sky-rocket-under-coalition/

benefitsadviser
forum member

Send message

They tend to pick on easy targets a majority of the time. My sanctioned clients tend to be young people who still live with their parents. As they have a roof over their heads and food on the table many of them wont appeal sanctions, as they dont see the point, and see a sanction as an inconvenience rather than something to be challenged. The apathy that has been bred in this country is simply shocking.
We are sleepwalking into a nightmare by the looks of things.

annief
forum member

Benefits adviser - Maggie's Centre, Edinburgh

Send message

Total Posts: 107

benefitsadviser - 11 June 2013 03:12 PM

They tend to pick on easy targets a majority of the time. My sanctioned clients tend to be young people who still live with their parents. As they have a roof over their heads and food on the table many of them wont appeal sanctions, as they dont see the point, and see a sanction as an inconvenience rather than something to be challenged. The apathy that has been bred in this country is simply shocking.
We are sleepwalking into a nightmare by the looks of things.

That’ll explain why my son’s benefit has stopped 3 times in the last 3 months!

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1976

A government that wasn’t even elected…..

nottsadvisor
forum member

Welfare rights - Nottingham City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 129

I took on my first sanction appeal since the new regime yesterday.  The client got sanctioned for 4 weeks, and is hopping mad about it and keen to ‘take it all the way’ regardless of timescales.  He showed me a copy of a ranting email he had sent to his MP about the unfairness of it all- my kind of client!  If only more people would make a fuss.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Send message

Tony : My sleepwalking thing was about whats happening , and what will happen in general.

The NHS is being dismantled and destroyed, Legal aid scrapped (so Bye Bye justice), the right to protest is being curtailed and we havent even started regarding the complete chaos that Universal credit will cause.

The old Chinese curse “May you live in interesting times” is a comin’!

CMILKCAB
forum member

Benefits advisor, NHS Project - Castlemilk CAB, Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 92

I am finding this process sickening. It is so obvious they are dishing out these sanctions to the most vulnerable folk who they know will not scream and rant and in the main will meekly accept santions without making a fuzz. My two latest cases are someone with mild learning difficulties and an 59 year old with no computer skills. Easy targets. :(