Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

DLA Mobility over 65

Chrisnew
forum member

Welfare Rights Advisor New Beginnings Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 6

Hi All

I have a client who is 72 and has been on DLA H/R Mobility for over 15 years she now has care needs, so I rang DBU at Blackpool to report change of circumstance and said that I had advised client that mobility would be looked at again.Helpline advisor then said that because client was over 65 mobility would not be looked at .I then rang DLA advisor line to query this and was assured that this information was correct does anyone know if this is indeed the fact as we all know of client who have lost their mobility award when looking for care

Thanks in advance

Gaspode the Wonder Dog
forum member

CLA Welfare Benefits, Eaga, Newcastle upon Tyne

Send message

Total Posts: 3

All evidence suggests that the helpline advisor is incorrect. The age of the person asking for a DLA supersession is irrelevant. The decision maker can consider issues outside the claimant’s request and may consider the component which is not part of the supersession. They don’t have to though.

I personally always counsel caution and would never assume that the decision maker would not look at both components and then highlight the possible risks with my client.

ClaireHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, CMH solicitors, Tyne And Wear

Send message

Total Posts: 186

but if a person was on DLA prior to reaching 65, they are still entitled to it so long as they satisfy the other conditions for it (i.e., reaching 65 is not a relevant change of circumstances)

MarkRingsted
forum member

Macmillan Benefits South Essex

Send message

Total Posts: 20

I agree with the previous posts. From experience there is usually no problem but over the years I have had just a few who lost their Mobility component. All got this back on appeal but there is always the chance this may not happen. Entitlement is purely on condition and effects on mobility. I always inform clients of the risk but also add this is limited.