Mixed state pension age couples pre October

Don Curtis
forum member

Customer support team manager - The Guinness Partnership

Send message

Total Posts: 35

Hi

I picked up on this blog from 60 second housing news:

http://speye.wordpress.com/2013/02/13/bedroom-tax-does-affect-pensioners-from-april-2013-oh-what-a-tangled-webb-we-weave-minister/

Most of the fella’s stuff is pretty good but he is asserting that a mixed couple (one under and one over SPa) will be subject to the bedroom tax as soon as their circumstances change post April.

I suggested he’s barking up the wrong tree as HBR A13(2)(d) exempts such a couple from the bedroom tax.

He’s come back quoting the UC regs and saying that cos they commence 29 April then changes of circs after that date will tip the couple into UC.

So I guess my question is - where do I find the bit of legislation that says the UC regs only apply from post-October?

Jon Blackwell
forum member

Programmer - Lisson Grove Benefits Program, Brighton

Send message

Total Posts: 501

Don Curtis - 15 February 2013 03:30 PM

So I guess my question is - where do I find the bit of legislation that says the UC regs only apply from post-October?

There is no such regulation - there are only government announcements / ministerial statements so far - outside the Pathfinder I’d assume October is the earliest possible date.

We have the draft UC(TP) regs which spell out the (very limited) group of claimants who’ll go into the Pathfinder from April 29 (but not the relevant postcodes) 

The EM for the draft TP regs refers to the forthcoming commencement order (presumably commencing the relevant section of WRA 2012 to bring in UC) which will actually specify the relevant postcodes.

Amongst other things claimant’s in the Pathfinder will have to start off single and aged under 60.5. Just glancing at the TP regs: it looks theoretically possible that if a Pathfindee partners someone over QAFSPC, (and so they become a mixed age couple)  that they could continue as a couple on UC (and so potentially be subject to bedroom tax) However, prior to partnering, the older member must not be entitled to PC [ Draft TP reg 9(5)] so I’d guess that the numbers involved would be very small indeed, if any.

Even when we have the commencement order for the Pathfinder it quite possibly won’t confirm the October (national) start date.

From what I’ve heard, there are strong hints that the October’s “national roll-out” is going to be rather limited.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2015

Rather!

7 job centres?