to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

A2 National that hasn’t worked

Welfare Rights Nottinghan City Council
forum member

Nottingham City Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 30

Any ideas on how I can help this client would be really appreciated.

Client and her partner arrived in UK Jan 2007, son was born April 2008. Child benefit was awarded from Jan 2010 (and was backdated to Jan 2009). The separated around Jan 2011 and he has since returned to Romania. She said he only worked for a car wash whilst he was in the UK so it would be unlikely to be registered work.

Client is attending college 4 hours pw. She has recently learned she can’t get funding for the course she is already on because she isn’t receiving benefits.

The only income she has is child benefit - she has been surviving on help from friends. I was thinking of arguing that she has been self sufficient for 5 years but unlikely to be successful due to receiving Child Ben.

I can’t see how she can claim IS or JSA as she has never done any authorised work.

If she is getting Child Benefit, why is she getting this? Could this be used to get other benefits into payment? Don’t want to ask Child Benefit why in case it causes it to cease.

If she is getting Child Ben, CTC may be approved too if they follow the same decision.

Don’t think she can gain right to reside as a student as she is relying on funding and doesn’t have comprehensive sickness insurance.

She has no family now living in the UK.

Is there any other way of her accessing money other than working or registering self employed?

Many thanks