Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

Job grant/ return to work credit.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1005

Hi folks, another day another query!

This sounds like a made up hypothetical question however it is actually happening to a client of mine.

I may be wrong here but I understand that the return to work credit and Job grant is being scrapped on 1st October. Is this for anyone who actually claims the above from the 1st, or does it only apply to people who claimed the qualifying benefit for 26 weeks before the 1st of October?

My client starts her new job after being on ESA for 9 months on the 1st of October, and she will be closing her claim on Sunday the 30th September.
Will she still qualify for Grant and RTW credit as she starts work on the day the Job Grant/RTW credit criteria changes or will she qualify as her qualifying benefit was closed the day beforehand?

I dont really see a problem but we all know that Jobcentre plus have a habit of applying their own criteria and rules regarding the law. I dont want her being penalised for starting work on the exact same day that things change.

Thanks, as always

Domino
forum member

Advice Support Project, Lasa

Send message

Total Posts: 121

According to this the Job Grant is being scrapped on 1 April 2013.  In practice it means that a client cannot build up eligibility for the benefit from 1 October 2012, because they have to be on a qualifying benefit for at least 26 weeks. 
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/adviser/updates/uc-changes-to-in-work/

Return to Work Credit is being scrapped from 1 Oct 2013, and the client in practice cannot build up entitlement to this from 2 Oct 2012

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1005

Thanks Domino, you are a star.
I googled the issue this morning and all i could get was that there was a change to JG/RTWC from October 1st but i couldnt find what the changes actually are.
Cheers