to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Housing Benefit refused due to marital property

Aisha
forum member

Housing services - Trust Housing Association, Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 4

Hi I was hoping someone can give me some pointers on this case.
I have a lady who is in arrears as the council will not pay out Housing Benefit to her as she still owns her marital property. The lady who is 59 lost her job about 6 months ago and is claiming Jobseeker allowance. She separated almost 5 years from her husband and moved out. He is still living in the property as he says he cant afford to buy her out, therefore the property is not on the market nor has they been any step to try and sell it. Her husband claims he will be homeless and refuses to move out, meanwhile the lady was paying her own rent up till she lost her job and is now struggling. I am not sure if there is anyway she could claim HB as she is unable to sell it due to her husband. I know if it is on the market or reasonable steps are taken then usually they would disregard the property for at-least 6 months. Not sure what to advice, apart from put it on the market??

any help appreciated

Kevin D
forum member

Independent HB/CTB administrator, consultant & trainer (Essex)

Send message

Total Posts: 474

The mere fact of ownership of the property doesn’t necessarily mean it has a value that results in non-entitlement to benefit.

Is your client the sole owner, or joint owner?  If sole owner, she would presumably be within her rights to attempt to evict her former partner - notwithstanding that he might counter claim as part of a settlement.

The ongoing occupancy would undoubtedly reduce the potential value to a willing buyer.  There is somewhat selective case law suggesting the value would be nil, but that will be unusual.  Also, is there any outstanding mortgage, or any other encumbrance, on the property?  These must be deducted from the market value (NB:  10% must first be deducted from the full market value in any case).

If the ownership is joint, the valuation must be of the half - it could be well under the face value 50% because of the continued occupancy of the former partner.

In short, I’d get more info and would, if still in time, ask the LA for a statement of reasons, including the way in which it reached the valuation of the property.

Stainsby
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Plumstead Community Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 628

Have a look at R(IS)1/03 (the right to take proceedings to secure a property adjustment order is not a capital asset) and R(JSA)1/02 (valuation of a share in a jointly held property)

File Attachments

Aisha
forum member

Housing services - Trust Housing Association, Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 4

thanks guys, at the moment no decision has been made and it has been with a decision maker for almost 6 weeks. My spy from the inside ;) has given me this information so i will hang fire and see what happens!