to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

CIS/SEF Security

robzrob
forum member

Benefits - Cornwall Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1

Does anybody use CIS/SEF to check on claimants’ state benefits?  If so, how do you record the info you’ve taken from CIS on the claimant’s HCTB file?  I’ve always copied the CIS screen, pasted it to a Word doc, then smartsaved that Word doc to the claimant’s file on our DIPS system.  It’s very quick and easy.  Now our managers are saying this musn’t be done, but there’s nothing in the CIS rules to say that it musn’t be done, the only thing I can see in the CIS rules is a prohibition against saving the info to a portable device - and I’m not doing that, so I see no problem.

Any comments?

Kevin D
forum member

Independent HB/CTB administrator, consultant & trainer (Essex)

Send message

Total Posts: 474

IN LAW, I can’t see a problem so long as the DPA isn’t breached (i.e. the data is used only for the purpose it is intended).

However, the DWP take a different view and, from recollection, advise LAs NOT to keep copies of data screens from CIS - under threat of removing CIS access from LAs.

There are difficulties on both sides.  Some LAs abuse CIS info - fact.  On the flip side, if the LAs don’t keep a full copy, how can a LA provide evidence that the info held is correct?  Catch 22.

Kevin D
forum member

Independent HB/CTB administrator, consultant & trainer (Essex)

Send message

Total Posts: 474

CIS/SEF are the computer systems on which info is held about DWP benefits (non-HB/CTB).  LAs are given access to this information for the purpose of establishing, or checking, whether or not a clmt is on DWP benefits and/or the rates of those benefits.  Tax Credits info is also similarly accessed.

It’s worth bearing in mind that the data isn’t always up to date nor can accuracy be guaranteed.

CIS = Customer Information System (I *think*, from recollection).  I’ve long since forgotten what SEF means.  These systems replaced the old “RAT” system (Remote Access Terminal).

robzrob
forum member

Benefits - Cornwall Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1

Kevin D - 27 April 2011 07:32 AM

IN LAW, I can’t see a problem so long as the DPA isn’t breached (i.e. the data is used only for the purpose it is intended).

However, the DWP take a different view and, from recollection, advise LAs NOT to keep copies of data screens from CIS - under threat of removing CIS access from LAs.

There are difficulties on both sides.  Some LAs abuse CIS info - fact.  On the flip side, if the LAs don’t keep a full copy, how can a LA provide evidence that the info held is correct?  Catch 22.

So why doesn’t the DWP forbid keeping screens in its list of rules?