Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

Managed Migration - When to Claim

Adam Evenson
forum member

Blackpool Centre For Unemployed

Send message

Total Posts: 231

Hi

This may be really simple to find out and I’m being thick!

I’m just starting to see some clients with Managed Migration notices under legacy benefits (not TCs, its now just IS/HB at the moment) and don’t know this area well enough. Usually they seem to either panic and do it themselves or go to CAB for assistance so have done very few of these.

I’m just wondering is there any guidance on when is best to claim within the 3 month deadline so they don’t lose out - a lot of clients seem to be advised by others (not sure who told them that!) to claim nearer the end of the 3 month so they get to two week run-on and then only 3 week wait for first UC. Is that correct?

Obviously change of circumstances is the big one - should clients make a change of circumstances prior to moving over then move over with the new circumstance?

Any help and guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks

Adam

Mairi
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Dunedin Canmore Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 278

Hi Adam.

I think the easy answer is that each case will vary depending upon the claimant and their circumstances.  Even if there are no changes in circumstances some people will want to keep the status quo for as long as possible and claim at the end of the period they’ve been given to do so and some will want to make the change as quickly as possible so that they know it’s done.

The wait between the end of legacy benefits and the first payment of UC will be the same whichever approach they take because they will receive a 2 week run on of the legacy benefits and then a 3 - 3 1/2 week wait for the first payment of UC.

If there’s a change of circumstances to take into account it becomes a bit more complicated but essentially if the change of circumstances will reduce the overall award it is worth getting UC claimed before the change takes place to maximise transitional protection. 

I usually try to time applications to the day after a wage is received if wages are in payment.

In one case where it didn’t matter to the claimant what date the claim was made we decided to time it to best replicate the status quo so that they receive their housing costs payment around the same time of the month they used to receive Housing Benefit as that would make it easier for them to know when to check their rent account.  This also meant that their run on of Housing Benefit means that their rent account will be less in arrears each month on the day rent is charged (very important when you work for a landlord and benefits for rent are paid in arrears!!)

Mairi