Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Absence Abroad - in connection with death of a “close relative”

MartinB
forum member

Welfare Benefits Adviser, Client Services, Crisis (Edinburgh)

Send message

Total Posts: 65

I have a client who is in receipt of UC and has travelled abroad with her young son, so that her son can see her mother-in-law (his paternal grandmother) before she dies.

The mother-in-law dies about 2 weeks into the absence and then they have the funeral etc, and then they don’t get a flight home until 8 days after the first month of absence has ended - mainly because they couldn’t find an affordable flight before this date.  So the total absence is one month and 8 days

This is her husband’s mother who died.  They are separated but not yet divorced.

I have 2 questions:

1. In terms of relying on an allowable absence of up to 2 months in connection with the death of a close relative, does she count as her mother-in-law if she is separated, but still married to her husband?

2. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the cost of flights would be a reasonable reason for her not returning withing the first month?

(I have the exact same situation with HB (she is is TA), where she has an initial allowable absence of 4 weeks which may be extended to 8 weeks if the absence is in connection with the death of a close relative)

Thanks