to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Issue with calculating income from Student Maintenance Loan

RAISE Advice
forum member

RAISE Benefits Advice Team, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 155

I was hoping for some input on breakdown of a Maintenance Loan I have from a client - it reads as follows :

Maintenance Loan Breakdown

Income Assessed Loan Reduction 0.00
Means Tested Loan £6548.00
Non Means Tested Loan £4324.00
Long Courses Loan £1070.00

Total Payable - £11,942.00

That’s then followed up by

Total Payable Loan can be broken down as

Maintenance Element - £7721
Special Support Element - £4221.00

My confusion over this is that client says his partner isn’t on DLA or PIP and the only support she received was for equipment and nothing financial. This was the 3rd year of the course and a Special Support Element hadn’t been referred to previously.

It makes me wonder if the client is withholding info about a PIP award from me for some reason. Though also makes me confused over whether there was a special support element in the previous years as all the other loans were broken down as in the first column, with no reference to special support.

This is not an area that I’m particularly confident in - so any input would be gratefully received.

Kelly
Administrator

rightsnet editor

Send message

Total Posts: 33

It does seem likely that there’s a PIP award that hasn’t been disclosed. It is possible to get the special support element without a PIP award but most who qualify would be claiming PIP anyway… Unless your clients are both students and have children?