Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

Indicative amount

LucyH20
forum member

Northumberland County Council Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 7

I should probably know this but…

When do they calculate the indicative UC amount? I know they base the total legacy amount on the day they make their UC claim but wasn’t sure when they take the indicative amount (or more so I am hopeful its taken on final AP day because of the following scenario)

Client has received migration notice and final deadline date is 12/7/24
Currently on IS, CA, HB and CTC with an element for a severely disabled child.
QYP is 18 and education ends on 19/7/24

Initially, due to how the assessment period works, I was thinking she needed to claim UC on 19/6/24 meaning she will be paid an amount for a disabled QYP up to the day before they leave education.

I did wonder what might happen if she claimed say 10/7/24. At this point her total legacy amount would include an amount for a severely disabled child but by the end of the AP they would have fallen off the claim, so if the indicative UC was taken from the end of the AP she would have a huge Transitional Element.

As I have typed I have realised this is far too optimistic, but, just in case, anyone know?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3188

Her indicative UC amount will be calculated on migration day based on some assumptions - including that the child elements will be included for any QYP then in her CTC award. See reg 54(2)(a) UC (TP) Regs.

So in this case, any claim up to the deadline date will use an indicative UC amount including relevant elements for the child. It doesn’t matter that they are shortly going to cease being a QYP.

You are right that the actual amount of UC she receives in her first AP will be affected by the date of claim, but that isn’t a consideration for the purposes of the TP calculation. She should receive the same amount of TP whenever she claims (assuming no other factors of course).

LucyH20
forum member

Northumberland County Council Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 7

Thanks Elliot, as I suspected. 19th June it is then other wise she will miss out if he isn’t in education by the end of the AP.