to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

No WCA because you’re over State Pension age

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3258

Can’t find the previous thread on this but we’ve come across yet another case of DWP refusing to carry out WCA because the client is over State Pension age.

Aside from the duel irritation of the work coach stating that they have “closed” the MR along with the arrant nonsense that you can’t have a WCA after SPA, can I ask if anyone else is seeing this?

We’re going to try and chase this up with DWP officials as it’s absurd how randomly these rules are being applied or not but if we have other cases, I hope they might take the resolution to this problem slightly more seriously.

Have already flagged the CPAG JR template letters about the situation but we shouldn’t be needing to do this on something so routine.

Rebecca Lough
forum member

Welfare rights - Greenwich Council

Send message

Total Posts: 236

Hi Paul

We’ve had this at least once - I recall it related to someone who qualified for LCW automatically due to standard PIP but we wanted an WCA to get LCWRA which took some pushing (but did work). Can’t recall our exact tactic - I think it was us trying to MR their LCW decision. I will dig through to try and recall the client.

Edit: It was a note in the journal explaining why he couldn’t get LCWRA, we submitted an MR and it prompted a successful WCA.

[ Edited: 14 Dec 2021 at 01:54 pm by Rebecca Lough ]