to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

Another question about ADM Memo 15/20 - MIF and start up period

EKS_COTTON
forum member

Tax and Welfare Rights Officer, Equity

Send message

Total Posts: 291

Not 100% clear on what ADM Memo 15/20 is saying about MIF and start up period and how significant it is.

Rightsnet summary clearer in that it says

‘The DWP advises that, from 23 September 2020, the 12-month period when the MIF will not apply to self-employed claimants who are managed migrated will be extended so it does not apply to those who are naturally migrated in self-employment and all existing universal credit claimants who become newly gainfully self-employed.’

But I am still missing something - Was there a plan for managed migration to begin from 23/09/20? Last I heard I thought there was no date for that yet?  And I don’t understand how those who are naturally migrated would benefit from any managed migration plans?

EKS

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1456

Managed migration has always included a rule allowing a 12 month period. Admittedly, this will not have been used very often, considering the extremely limited numbers of people moved over in the pilot. From 23 September, this 12 month period is being extended, and is being given to all new claimants.

EKS_COTTON
forum member

Tax and Welfare Rights Officer, Equity

Send message

Total Posts: 291

Thanks Charles - yes, we understood that there would be a 12 month reprieve from the MIF for those SE claimants moved over from legacy benefits (primarily tax credits we presumed) under managed migration plans prior to C-19.

When you say from 23 sept it will be extended to all new claimants - is that all those who are naturally migrated or those who are only in a start up period?

EKS

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1456

From 23 Sep, anyone newly found to be gainfully self-employed will get a start-up period if they haven’t had one before, even if the business has been running for many years.

This will therefore include those who naturally migrate, and also existing UC claimants who were previously held not to be gainfully self-employed.