to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

overpaid UC, child responibility

Diogenes
forum member

welfare benefits, citizens advice, sherwood & newark

Send message

Total Posts: 347

Mt client gets CB fo a child but UC have decide the other parent looks after the child for 53% of the time so my cl was not entitled teh child ellement he had been awarded , he now has a £50000 overpaid UC bill

the client challenges teh 53% figure , it sia shred care arrangement and a bit convoluted, is there any point appealing

[ Edited: 31 Jul 2024 at 01:35 pm by Diogenes ]
Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3219

The test is first who the child normally lives with and, where there is more than one person with whom the child normally lives and they cannot agree amongst themselves, then it is who has the ‘main responsibility’. If your client thinks that he has the main responsibility for the child and disagrees with the DWP’s assessment of this, then yes of course it would be worth appealing.

I am confused about how this situation has led to an overpayment at all unless you are going to say that the DWP has been paying both parents in error.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2021

If the child was pre 2017 and highest disabled then (on this years rates) a £50,000 overpayment would take just over 5 years to accrue if it shouldn’t have been in payment.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3219

Gareth Morgan - 31 July 2024 04:26 PM

If the child was pre 2017 and highest disabled then (on this years rates) a £50,000 overpayment would take just over 5 years to accrue if it shouldn’t have been in payment.

Well the overpayment could include things like additional HCE for increased bedroom need, work allowance etc.

But my money is on it being a typo…

Diogenes
forum member

welfare benefits, citizens advice, sherwood & newark

Send message

Total Posts: 347

Yes Elliot both parents were being paid in error and yes its £5k