× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Advice ‘hacks’

Owen_Stevens
forum member

UC Adviser, CPAG

Send message

Total Posts: 644

https://askcpag.org.uk/content/210779/advice-hacks

This article probably won’t cover anything new to many Rightsnet users, but might perhaps be useful to others and to new advisers.

Let me know if you have any thoughts on the ‘hacks’ - did I overlook anything?

Kelly
Administrator

rightsnet editor

Send message

Total Posts: 51

This is great, Owen.

The only points I would add relate to medical evidence, and I’m not sure whether that fits in your article?

With the majority of cases concerning disability & health-related benefits, and many GPs failing to respond to SARs on time, it’s a good idea to request medical evidence early.

In my last role, I pushed to collate email addresses for local GP surgeries specifically for the submission of SARs - helped clients, advisors and GP staff alike to send standard emails directly to the right team member. All the ones I dealt with accepted a photo of a signed consent form received from client by email - so worked well remotely too. Plus it encouraged the GP to send records directly to the advisor rather than to client only/ holding hard copy at surgery for them (although this still happened on occasion!).

Owen_Stevens
forum member

UC Adviser, CPAG

Send message

Good suggestion. The more the merrier!

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3289

Nice one Owen, presume you’re happy for us to share this with our network of local advisers? I think they could find it really helpful.

Only thing I would add (and you’re already doing it here) would be making sure people are aware of Rightsnet discussion forum and aren’t afraid to ask others for help. I don’t know what I would do without this place, it can save so much time asking that stupid question when your brain just can’t compute what the best option is for a client.

Owen_Stevens
forum member

UC Adviser, CPAG

Send message

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 15 August 2024 02:32 PM

Nice one Owen, presume you’re happy for us to share this with our network of local advisers?

Of course, very happy

Only thing I would add (and you’re already doing it here) would be making sure people are aware of Rightsnet discussion forum and aren’t afraid to ask others for help.

Totally agree, an indispensable resource

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3860

Only thing I would add (and you’re already doing it here) would be making sure people are aware of Rightsnet discussion forum and aren’t afraid to ask others for help. I don’t know what I would do without this place, it can save so much time asking that stupid question when your brain just can’t compute what the best option is for a client.

... ❤️

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2021

it can save so much time asking that stupid question when your brain just can’t compute what the best option is for a client.

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. Often mine.

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1052

Whatever the others said, I’ll post a link to this discussion on CITA’s Fiendfaceplace.

Ps Owen would really be worth considering running workshops on this to wider audiences.