Pension Credit Processing Delays

‹ First  < 5 6 7

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3289

Anna Malone - 06 March 2024 09:16 AM

Resurrecting this old thread following a conversation with a client yesterday.  We helped her with a claim for Pension Credit in early December 2023.  She has not heard back yet so she phoned the helpline on Monday.  She was told that because she has savings her application has not yet been processed as they are prioritising applications from people who do not have savings.  They also told her that it could take up to a year to process her application.

Has anyone else heard this?  We have been advising client’s it will take around 6 weeks to process their claims as that is the timescale currently given when we submit an application.

Hi Anna, we’re still coming across some delays but we’ve not heard about stockpiling claims or claims taking more than a year to process as standard.

If you get in touch with the Age UK Email Enquiry Service, we might be able to assist, so please do drop us a line.

ScottC
forum member

Advice Team, Independent Age

Send message

Total Posts: 1

We are also getting people coming to us saying they applied for PC around early December and yet to hear anything so does appear to be long delays again in getting decisions.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

When we contacted Pension Service about Anne’s case above, they replied by saying:

”...…if a customer can verify their capital / savings then the claim will be processed in the normal way. Claims are worked on in date order, however some claims will always be processed quicker than others due to simplicity of some and complexity of others. It depends on each individual customer circumstances. “

roecab
forum member

Welfare benefits supervisor - Roehampton CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 484

We claimed PC with a client on 27/11/23 and by 01/02/24 had not heard anything, so we chased it. We had the initial nonsense about not being able to speak to us - it transpired the client needed to complete a HRT, which is fine. However this was never notified to client, we had to point out that we perhaps a client is more likely to complete the HRT if they are notified of this, on checking the DM had referred for HRT on 10/01/24 and so had sat there for close to 7 weeks…..Assisted cl to complete HRT on phone and was told it will be approx 9 weeks for a decision to be made..

Caroline E
forum member

Richmond CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 7

I’m also seeing delays again. I rang Pension Credit this week and was told the ‘backlog’ was 12 weeks. My client has been waiting 18 - her ESA ended mid-November. The official tried to transfer the call to someone who might help, but warned we’d have a long wait for an answer, and that if we were cut off we’d have to start again by phoning Pension Credit. The line went very dead. We’ve written to the MP. I thought all this was meant to have been “sorted”...

juliem
forum member

Macmillan welfare rights advisor - Barnsley MBC, Barnsley

Send message

Total Posts: 132

Our jobcentre vulnerable client liaison officer contacted PC internally on behalf of my client who needed child elements on PC. Client had applied in November for PC as UC ended 19/12 - and had not heard anything by 19/3/24, despite a promise of a call back 6/3/24. With that additional kick it was sorted in 2 days and backdated child element paid. Useful for anyone who is extra vulnerable.

ninja9girl
forum member

Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 37

This is becoming a major issue. I have an outstanding complaint from January where PS have still not processed a claim despite sending all relevant evidence in months ago.  MR’s are being ignored and no one seems to want to accept responsibility.  My client is going to go to the new MP but all that will do is get the individual case resolved but there are still 1000s of people still waiting.  This is even more important to get PC in payment with the announcement of the Winter Fuel Payments being means tested

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3584

ninja9girl - 31 July 2024 12:40 PM

This is becoming a major issue. I have an outstanding complaint from January where PS have still not processed a claim despite sending all relevant evidence in months ago.  MR’s are being ignored and no one seems to want to accept responsibility.  My client is going to go to the new MP but all that will do is get the individual case resolved but there are still 1000s of people still waiting.  This is even more important to get PC in payment with the announcement of the Winter Fuel Payments being means tested

If you want to email me details - .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) - I can escalate that via the stakeholder forum - 6 months for a complaint to be dealt with is not acceptable!

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

We’ve had another one today and escalated.

Applied for PC using online form in January 2024 and received a confirmation email stating she would hear back from them by the 4/03/24. Client has called Pension Service numerous times to request an update regarding her application. She has been repeatedly told she needs to wait. She has been promised a call back within 10 days numerous times and has never received a call back. During a call with PS in March,  she was informed there is a delay in processing applications due to a large backlog.

In May, our adviser supported client to write formal complaint. stating there has been a long delay on processing her claim and requests for this to be looked into.

The client called numerous times again since and requested an update. She has been repeatedly told she needs to wait longer and there is no update. She has been promised a call back numerous times and has never received a call back.

End of June, the client called PS again and notified that PC have received all documents needed. They have also received the complaint letter. They have now passed her claim onto the next and ‘final decision’ stage they told her.

The client still hasn’t heard back from them with a decision.  Absurd administration.

roecab
forum member

Send message

We’ve just sent one to the clients local MP.

PC claimed in November, no decision - only contact at all with the Pension Service has been from us to get updates, no communication to the client at all, not even when they stalled the claim as cl needed a HRT. We asked if they had not notified client of the need for the HRT, how was she supposed to know, no response of course. HRT completed on 06/02/24, chased 3 times told will be called back, no call backs.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

roecab - 01 August 2024 04:08 PM

PC claimed in November, no decision - only contact at all with the Pension Service has been from us to get updates, no communication to the client at all, not even when they stalled the claim as cl needed a HRT. We asked if they had not notified client of the need for the HRT, how was she supposed to know, no response of course. HRT completed on 06/02/24, chased 3 times told will be called back, no call backs.

Think that I’ve said elsewhere, a lot of the delayed cases we see have something about HRT or right to reside or immigration. Not all, some are just straightforward cases but they do seem to particularly struggle with decision making on these.

roecab
forum member

Send message

Paul,

Interesting, I just find it hard to accept a claim was sitting there and action only taken when chased by us for the client.

See here at 14.55

https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/2e628309-2dfd-4afa-88b5-07f70467adff

We had some issues a year or so a go and got our local MP to ask a question about it in parliament, nothing seems to have improved in fact arguably they are much worse.

JonUCN
forum member

Housing Systems

Send message

Total Posts: 48

Has anyone had any success getting a payment on account while waiting for PC?

juliem
forum member

Macmillan welfare rights advisor - Barnsley MBC, Barnsley

Send message

Total Posts: 132

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 01 August 2024 04:51 PM
roecab - 01 August 2024 04:08 PM

Think that I’ve said elsewhere, a lot of the delayed cases we see have something about HRT or right to reside or immigration. Not all, some are just straightforward cases but they do seem to particularly struggle with decision making on these.

They do seem to have issues with living abroad - my case which involved the child elements had also worked on a military camp abroad but as partner to serving officer - but once mentioned it caused delays.