Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

SSP and UC

Adam Evenson
forum member

Blackpool Centre For Unemployed

Send message

Total Posts: 244

Hi,

Got a client who’s SSP runs out on 31st July and he’s wanting to make a UC claim - couple of issues with the “earnings and work” section, hopefully someone can help.

Client only gets SSP and nothing from his employer - I’ve put in the SSP rate and the next question is “how much do you USUALLY earn?” - Am I putting in his normal wage pre-SSP as I can’t seem to leave that one blank. He’s had no earnings other than SSP for the last few months.

With his SSP ending on 31st July, they’ve asked whether it is easier to claim on the 1st August and state “unemployed” (client will not be returning to work due to health conditions) - I’m cautious about doing this as I don’t want it to seem like he’s taking advantage of the system so to speak.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Adam

Rebecca Lough
forum member

Welfare rights - Greenwich Council

Send message

Total Posts: 253

Hi Adam

It doesn’t really matter what you put in normally earn, the data feed from HMRC will pull through the earnings. I would probably put the SSP rate.

Waiting to claim is not taking advantage of the system and the wage would be taken into account for the whole month so given how close we are to 31/7, I would wait and claim after it’s paid.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3260

UC will calculate his payment based on earnings he actually receives during his assessment period (which if he claims today would be 30/07 - 29/08). They will obtain that information through the Real Time Information feed.

His award will be calculated based on when the earnings are received, so his next pay date is more significant than when the SSP period actually ends. It also is unlikely to matter very much what he puts in the box (maybe it would matter for the purposes of calculating his maximum advance) - although most obviously he can just put the SSP figure.

He might want to think about waiting until after his final payslip to claim in order to maximise his first UC payment, however he needs to weigh that against delaying when he would actually get his UC payment.

[ Edited: 30 Jul 2024 at 04:27 pm by Elliot Kent ]
Kelly
Administrator

rightsnet editor

Send message

Total Posts: 60

Agree that it doesn’t matter much what is put in the “normally earns” box - in fact, it’s hard to get the DWP to pay attention to anything other than the HMRC RTI feed even when it’s inaccurate (usually due to employer error) and there’s considerable evidence (payslips, employer letters and bank statements) showing the true position.

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1465

I think the only difference it makes is which conditionality regime he is initially placed in, until the end of the first AP.

Adam Evenson
forum member

Blackpool Centre For Unemployed

Send message

Total Posts: 244

Elliot Kent - 30 July 2024 12:55 PM

UC will calculate his payment based on earnings he actually receives during his assessment period (which if he claims today would be 30/07 - 29/08). They will obtain that information through the Real Time Information feed.

His award will be calculated based on when the earnings are received, so his next pay date is more significant than when the SSP period actually ends. It also is unlikely to matter very much what he puts in the box (maybe it would matter for the purposes of calculating his maximum advance) - although most obviously he can just put the SSP figure.

He might want to think about waiting until after his final payslip to claim in order to maximise his first UC payment, however he needs to weigh that against delaying when he would actually get his UC payment.

Thanks, I’ll get them to double check if he has any final payments due - in the box prior to the actual earnings which mentions ‘sick pay etc’, should I just repeat the SSP rate?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3260

Bcfu - 30 July 2024 05:22 PM

Thanks, I’ll get them to double check if he has any final payments due - in the box prior to the actual earnings which mentions ‘sick pay etc’, should I just repeat the SSP rate?

If you’re saying that his SSP runs out on 31 July, then he definitely will have a final payment due unless he’s been paid in advance.

As per the previous replies, I don’t think that it really matters. I do not have the form in front of me but presumably you would put the SSP in the sick pay box and nil in the other box so that it all adds up to what he is normally getting paid i.e. SSP.