to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Request for weekly payments

AnnieG22
forum member

Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council

Send message

Total Posts: 7

I am working with a family who are migrating to UC. The couple are in receipt of ESA (Mrs) CA (Mr) They have an adult son who lives with them who has autism. They have needed a lot of support through the process. As UC will be paid Monthly and CA is paid weekly. I suggested Mrs requests her ESA to be paid weekly (Currently every fortnight) so that they can manage the budget better. Mrs has a range of health issues both physical and mental health. She gets very anxious and doesn’t cope with change very well. Mrs called the ESA help line and they asked for the request to be made in writing, she did, she called to follow up the letter and has been advised she needs medical evidence to support the request. There are currently no services involved with Mrs (SW for adult son) so the only evidence would be a GP letter at a cost to her. Has anyone encountered a similar issue? or have a solution? Any help/information would be very much welcomed

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1044

AnnieG22
forum member

Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council

Send message

Total Posts: 7

Hello, thank you. I had looked at that guidance, but she seems to fit within the criteria and there is no mention of evidence required.

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1044

‘5. To assist operational colleagues, criteria have been developed to help decide on
whether weekly payments are justified. Common sense and judgement should
always be used when a customer requests a weekly payment. Every case should be
considered on its merits, with due regard to a customer’s individual circumstances’.

The fact the client is on ESA suggests they have evidence already on client’s health issues that may be pertinent to the request for weekly payments.