× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

EU migrants serious case review

Tracey D
forum member

Welfare benefits advisor - Peterborough City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 127

A colleague has shared this tragic case with me and I feel that is is something that should be viewed by the wider welfare rights community as a sobering reminder of how the right to reside rules can push pople into deep poverty and depression.

It is the story of an EU lone parent denied benefits after the birth of her baby.

http://www.migrantsrights.org.uk/blog/2011/01/did-governments-campaign-against-social-welfare-entitlements-eu-citizens-contribute-dea

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3139

I remember reading about this case at the time.  I felt like crying then and I feel like crying now.  There is much about this country that is good but there is much that absolutely disgusts me.  And, quite frankly, the assorted ragbag collection of cheerleaders of this kind of approach to social welfare and the incompetent and indifferent administrators of large parts of it should hang their heads in shame.

Matthew Simpson
forum member

Caseworker, Eaga PLC, Newcastle

Send message

Total Posts: 44

Im with you nev, i feel disgusted by it all as well and it concerns me that we may see more of these cases if the little help that the vunerable are allowed now is cut out from underneath them

Ben E Fitz
forum member

Welfare Benefits Caseworker, Manchester CAB Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 162

The starting point of this case, and so many others, was the advice from Jobcentre Plus that the claimant should claim IS as a lone parent/expectant mother. We see EEA nationals who are routinely given this advice by JCP staff, with the resultant consequence of the withdrawal of all benefits, often for months, not to mention the difficulty of getting these benefits backdated following the inevitable return to JSA as an EEA “workseeker”.

This issue has been raised several times with our local JCP, who always follow the line that it is a “training isue”. However, the continuing stream of cases indicate it is a training issue which is not being addressed.

The tragedy is that cases like these could be prevented by the staff at Jobcentre Plus asking a couple of very simple questions (eg. “Are you an EEA national?/ “How long have you been in the UK?”/ “May I Look at your Visa?”), and advising a claim for the appropiate benefits in each case. It isn’t rocket science! It would, however, require a little common sense, something apparently totally alien to the DWP/JCP.

Tracey D
forum member

Welfare benefits advisor - Peterborough City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 127

I find that I am relying more and more on charities to help me out with food parcels for my childless couples and on our Children’s Services teams for food vouchers for Tesco for my families. This is such a sad state of affairs.

I would encourage all my working colleagues to donate tinned and dried foods to your local charities as they desperately need our support!

chacha
forum member

Benefits dept - Hertsmere Borough Council

Send message

Total Posts: 474

Read this today, below, and it reminded me of this serious case review even if the reporting is a bit remiss. The facts, reported, don’t really make sense but it’s still a tragedy.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/feb/03/retired-gardener-benefits-malcolm-burge-newham-council-london-government-welfare