Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Claimants can only claim cont ESA via UC system in full service areas???

‹ First  < 2 3 4

dizzymare
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Dudley MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 321

HI

any further advances on this? we have a client in full service area who sent in ESA1 to BDC and has just received a letter stating cant claim, and will need to contact UC. I have called BDC to re-iterate that this is a claim for ESA C only but been told customer needs UCESA1 issued from UC and that this has to be returned to UC service centre as BDC do not handle the claims. It appears that there is total confusion around ESA C (or is it just me?)

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3584

It’s not you!! There is complete confusion - the page on new-style ESA on gov.uk tells you to ring the UC centre to get the claim form but it seems lots of people are having difficulty in getting them to send the form out. We have asked time and time again for it to be put on gov.uk but with no success - you can download a copy from this thread but then it can be difficult to find an address to send it to! Good luck!

It is an issue we are constantly bringing up via stakeholders…

R2D2
forum member

Welfare rights - Financial Inclusion and Advice Service, Suffolk County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 21

At no point is the phrase ‘ESA’ or ‘new style ESA’ mentioned. This means that people are unsure whether they are phoning the right department, there are several points in the phone call when they could either request the wrong option or might be minded to finish the call which means there is a significant risk that they may not claim the benefit they are entitled to.

Having attempted a call myself I found the following:

Phone 0800 328 5644 (new style ESA claim number)
When you do:
(‘welcome to universal credit…’)
Choice of two options. Go to option 2 (none of which mention ESA)
(past statement about accessing on-line account of UC)
Further 6 options (none of which mention new style cESA)
Go to option 6 (any other queries – no mention of ESA))
(past another statement about accessing on-line account of UC)

I have raised this with our UC partnership manager who told me this had been escalated nationally. Our experience of this has been with people living with cancer who have struggled navigating the benefit system in addition to coming to terms with a life changing diagnosis

NIGELB
forum member

Rotherham and District Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 56

This may not be applicable as there have been many replies here but we have been in a full service area now for 10 months at least and when you ring the number for new style ESA often you are still told you cant and claim UC.
People are frustrated
I am told although not in the last couple of months is that the staff are still being trained but if you ring the right number you should have your claim accepted for new style esa

hope this helps

nigel

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1052

We’ve had another client come in re all of the above!

NIGELB
forum member

Send message

Hi there

are you at rightsnet still looking for case studies?
Just checking before i do anything else

thanks

Nigel

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

Yes nigel - do send me any case studies - direct message them if easier (anonymous at this point tho they may ask for details later)  -and I will escalate them via stakeholders - I will send them the recent postings on this thread too - it is unacceptable

NIGELB
forum member

Send message

ok thank you

MaggieB
forum member

Dorchester CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 278

I too spent several pleasant hours going round in circles before Christmas trying to establish procedure.  After speaking to our local Job Centre DEA received the following response:

Further to our telephone call, discussed I have called both New Style claim telephone number on 0800 055 6688 & UC claim line 0800 3285644 after I spoke to you the 2nd time I tried calling again to double check,  As we are a Full Service area I was advised to contact the UC claim line,  1st set of options press 2, 2nd set of options press 6, after info it asks for phone no. press 2, then speak postcode. Then date of birth, after a little wait (lines open 8am-6pm) The Adviser confirmed yes they do take claims for ESA only – to do this they will send out ESA form via email and book the customer an interview in local jobcentre. If customer does not have an email address or a printer they can request for them to be sent to alternative i.e. a friend or the local jobcentre etc.

My experience, as is often the way with calls to DWP, it is pot luck who you get.  Some advisers know what they are doing and others adamant you can’t claim at all with no understanding of what a contributory benefit is. 

I agree with R2D2 So far option 2, then option 6 seems the best uhh option. We are keeping paper copies of claim forms in the office although after reading dizzy mares post I am not sure what will happen if we post

How can this still be such a shambles 5 years after roll out started?

Maybe we should email Esther?

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1052

There is also the issue, assuming the claimant gets through the above process, of the interview with the Work Coach i.e. advising they cannot claim new style CESA for whatever reason e.g. not provided a SSP1 or on contractual sick pay (beyond 28 weeks).

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1976

Still happening!

Full Service area, claimant sends in ESA1, gets a letter from ESA telling her that ESA no longer exists and she must claim UC.

ESA1 clearly excludes IRESA claim and is CESA only.

I’ve asked for a copy of the letter from ESA.

dizzymare
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Dudley MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 321

Andrew - that is (im guessing) because the ESA 1 form was sent to the usual benefit delivery centre when it needs to be sent to an email address in Belfast. We have gone down this route and it worked. I think the JC are meant to send it to the email address (but don’t seem to know this so invariably send it to the wrong place)

‘ESANEWSTYLE.UCCLAIMS@DWP.GSI.GOV.UK’

hope this helps

cornybeef
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Perth & Kinross Council Welfare Rights Team

Send message

Total Posts: 2

Hi there, we are FSUC and have a couple where Mrs is currently in receipt of ESA (C) SG (recently awarded) and PIP EDL, Mr is claiming IS and CA, however, he has recently been awarded PIP DL and would qualify for NS ESA if he claims. We want to do the following:

1. Withdraw IS claim.

2. Complete ESA3 for Mrs so that IR ESA goes into payment.

3. Make NS ESA claim for Mr.

The question is…can he make a NS ESA claim safely without the household being forced down UC route.

If he receives conts benefit then they’ll be paid dbl SDP & dbl carers.

Daphne
Administrator

Send message