× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

GOODBYE EVERYONE

Patrick Joseph Hill
forum member

Trafford Benefits Advice Service

Send message

Total Posts: 61

Today is my last full day at work as I retire.  I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of those many, many individuals and organisations who have offered me endless support in my years in the job.  I won’t mention names in that I may inadvertently miss someone out.  So I merely repeat that there are many.  But I will mention the providers and all the contributors of Rightsnet without whom a difficult job would have been much more difficult.

Thank you Rightsnet and all of those involved; from whatever direction.

Patrick. 

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3836

Patrick ... truly the end of an era .... you will be missed

Good luck with whatever comes next ...... cheers Shawn

Tom H
forum member

Newcastle Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 783

All the best Patrick.  Have a great retirement.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3577

Hope I’m not too late for you to see this but goodbye and good luck Patrick - you will be sorely missed - no one else has quite your turn of phrase. But hope to see you for a beer before too long :)

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Farewell young man. Hopefully see you at your leaving do. Can’t actually believe you’re leaving here though. Surely you must have a pension query 😊

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

It was a pleasure to have met you Patrick; albeit briefly. My very best of wishes for whatever seas you sail.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2015

I’m hoping to juggle a journey to be in Manchester for your ‘do’, but if I can’t then all the best and I’ll miss you

Patrick Joseph Hill
forum member

Send message

Thank you everyone for your kind words.  Your not too late Daphne.  I’ve just popped into the office to dot some i’s and cross some t’s before I get off t’ t’pub.  I’ve handed in my badge, calculator, Disability Rights Handbook, CPAG Welfare Benefits Handbook and firearm already so off I go into the far off distance. 

People have asked me what I intend to do during retirement and I can only think that I’ll try to finish the final part of the “Strong In” trilogy, “Strong In Paris”, the first two being “Strong In th’ Arm” the second “Strong in Chicago”.  “Strong In Th’ Arm” now available on Amazon Kindle, “Strong In Chicago” finished and waiting preparation to go on Kindle, and “Strong In Paris” to be finished, I’m only 55 pages in with that one.

Oh sorry Shawn, this must sound awfully like advertising; but it’s only meant to let people know what I plan to do.  I am a pensioner after all.

And for those not already aware of this, I hope to meet up with folk for a farewell pint or two upstairs in “Moon Under Water” on Deansgate in Manchester; 11th June from about 4pm til ?? - all welcome.

Patrick

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3139

Good luck.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Patrick Joseph Hill - 18 May 2016 12:45 PM

I’ve just popped into the office to dot some i’s and cross some t’s before I get off t’ t’pub.  I’ve handed in my badge, calculator, Disability Rights Handbook, CPAG Welfare Benefits Handbook and firearm already so off I go into the far off distance. 
Patrick

“Dear Whistleblowers helpline,

I think if you move quickly you’ll be able to catch this bloke with a Trafford Council pen and notebook. Easily identifiable.

Yours,

Anon.”

I am old enough to remember the days when people retired and were allowed to keep their last ever CPAG and DRH. No more apparently.

Now, about that firearm.

Oh, and when is the iBooks version out?

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Oh sorry Shawn, this must sound awfully like advertising; but it’s only meant to let people know what I plan to do.  I am a pensioner after all.

I’ll accept a 5% cut of your royalties!!

..... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Strong-Th-Arm-Patrick-Hill-ebook/dp/B00987A1JQ

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

shawn - 18 May 2016 01:35 PM

..... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Strong-Th-Arm-Patrick-Hill-ebook/dp/B00987A1JQ

Five star review from a “Daphne”!!! “Suspicious face”.

Better still, a link to Daphnes wish list. Billy Ocean and Drake. Now that’s diverse :)

Sophia2013
forum member

Redbridge Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 44

You are so lucky, I wish I could retire :)

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

By the time you read this your drinking arm muscles will be in full flex I expect. Have an utterly splendid retirement Patrick, and do pop your head around the door from time to time if only to gloat.

All the best mate!

ROBBO
forum member

Welfare rights team - Stockport Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 334

A sad loss to Welfare Rights, you will be much missed at GMWRAG meetings - unless you keep coming, of course.  You wouldn’t be the first..

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

Five star review from a “Daphne”!!! “Suspicious face”.

Better still, a link to Daphnes wish list. Billy Ocean and Drake. Now that’s diverse :)

More than happy to own up to that review - I really enjoyed the book - I urge you all to read it - I must get going on the second one - I think I’m supposed to be proofreading it after my comments ;)

Interested to see that wish list - i don’t recall adding either of those but nothing wrong with either of them :)

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Once I’ve cleared my 18 book backlog of actual paper based books I shall download the first of these onto my iPad using the Kindle app.

My Amazon wish list currently has 605 items. I could defend that but, really…

Jon Blackwell
forum member

Programmer - Lisson Grove Benefits Program, Brighton

Send message

Total Posts: 501

A 601 from Wallgate is no better than a 600…  ( or is it the other way around? )

Best of luck for the future…

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3259

Best wishes for the future Patrick, look forward to the new publications.

Patrick Joseph Hill
forum member

Send message

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 23 May 2016 10:21 AM

Best wishes for the future Patrick, look forward to the new publications.

Thanks everyone.  But it looks as though that my age has stepped in regarding the books.  I should have said “Strong in Illinois” and not “Strong in Chicago”.  “Strong In Th’ Arm” and “Strong in Paris” were correct though.

“Strong in Paris” coming along nicely.

Patrick.

generalistadviser29
forum member

Birmingham Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 24

All the best mate.

Alan Markey
forum member

Director - Coventry Independent Advice Service

Send message

Total Posts: 51

Hey Patrick!  When’s the second book coming out?  I note there is a discussion thread on your Amazon page now, hinting that publication may be imminent.  Are you taking pre-orders?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/forum/cd/forum.html/ref=cm_cd_f_h_dp_t?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx11V106WPTADPR

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3259

Blimey Alan, anyone would think you’re his agent ;-)

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Eek. Once I had the big family wedding out of the way I intended to check my diary to see what was next. I noted your event immediately and was rather looking forward to it. Then I noted the other event. On Friday we travel to France for the first Welsh game in a major competition in 58 years, if you exclude the weirdness of 1976. So, apologies then. Moon Under Water or Bordeaux and thunder storms; a state of emergency and an alcohol ban. It was a tough call.

Hope it’s an enjoyable night for all.

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

Alan Markey - 07 June 2016 09:03 PM

Hey Patrick!  When’s the second book coming out?  I note there is a discussion thread on your Amazon page now, hinting that publication may be imminent.  Are you taking pre-orders?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/forum/cd/forum.html/ref=cm_cd_f_h_dp_t?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx11V106WPTADPR

Yes I see that discussion thread is going wild…

Alan Markey
forum member

Send message

Just heard from Patrick - the new book, ‘Strong In Illinois’, will be out tomorrow, keenly priced at £2.99 in the UK. 

And here’s an excusive - his first book (Strong In Th’Arm) will be available COMPLETELY FREE from tomorrow, 10th June, until midnight on 14th June.  So visit Amazon tomorrow and get your free copy (at the same time as buying a copy of the new book, obviously!).  Tell all your friends!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Strong-Th-Arm-Patrick-Hill-ebook/dp/B00987A1JQ?ie=UTF8&qid=1465484576&ref_=la_B0098J46WC_1_1&s=digital-text&sr=1-1

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

shawn - 18 May 2016 01:35 PM

Alan Markey - 09 June 2016 04:08 PM

... And here’s an exclusive - his first book (Strong In Th’Arm) will be available COMPLETELY FREE from tomorrow, 10th June, until midnight on 14th June ...

There goes my 5% .......

Alan Markey
forum member

Send message

I know Patrick is shy and retiring (gedddit?!) so it falls to me to let the world know that his new book, ‘Strong In Illinois’ is now available on the Amazon store (for Kindle) at https://www.amazon.co.uk/Strong-Illinois-trilogy-Book-ebook/dp/B01GU382AK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465550477&sr=8-1&keywords=strong+in+illinois

And (with apologies to Shawn) his first novel, ‘Strong In Th’Arm’, is now available FREE OF CHARGE for a limited period only at https://www.amazon.co.uk/Strong-Th-Arm-Patrick-Hill-ebook/dp/B00987A1JQ/ref=tmm_kin_title_sr?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1465550493&sr=1-3

Congratulations Patrick.  See you Saturday!