to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

valuation of former matrimonial property for HB CTR

Diogenes
forum member

welfare benefits, citizens advice, sherwood & newark

Send message

Total Posts: 328

claimant moved from family home,  disregarded for 6 months but now capital value taken into account, claimant argues that as former partner owns 50% share and will not sell or move the property should have a value of nil as the assess cannot be sold as no buyer would be interested in it

is this argument sustainable ???

no other disregards apply to the situation, he ha snot taken steps to sell or occupy the property, his wife from whom he is estranged lives in it with an adult daughter

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2012

Zero value is not sustainable.  I’d give a fiver for a half share in those circumstances because it will be worth a lot more at some future time.  On thre other hand, half the current value is also unsustainable.  Negotiation and previous values used in similar circumstances provide the way forward.

Diogenes
forum member

welfare benefits, citizens advice, sherwood & newark

Send message

Total Posts: 328

thanks gareth, the lA HB officer has just collared me in the kitchen and is very smug, he is preparing teh submissions this week and says he has a valuation that shows it has a market value even under teh current circumstances, I.E.  it is occupied by someone unwilling to move,

not looking good