Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

Forced migration Mixed Age Couple

< 1 2

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2946

I see what you mean about the numbers affected Amanda: there are quite a few couples where the older partner is on ESA and, although the younger partner is also disabled and would almost certainly get enough points for LCW, there hasn’t been any practical need for them to do it. 

Sometimes you find the younger partner has their own old-style ESA(c), and if they are well advised they could execute a switcheroo before the older partner’s ESA terminates upon reaching pension age.  But in probably more cases the younger partner is not on ESA(c).  That means there is no way to get the younger partner into the ESA(ir) claimant role before the older partner’s ESA terminates, so when it does terminate Article 6(2)(b) kicks in.  I think you are right that will be more than a tiny number who only avoided that by virtue of Article 8 and who therefore are affected the revocation of Article 8.

Probably still only a handful in most local authorities

PS edited to add: ... which is exactly the situation Sean’s client is in

[ Edited: 27 Jun 2024 at 07:52 am by HB Anorak ]
Amanda JB
forum member

Leeds City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 19

Thank you Peter I am still struggling to find any communication from DWP when Art8 was revoked, I’m checking our notes to ensure they are up to date.

Isn’t Seans case different and not affected by the Atr8 being revoked, because his client is actually entitled to ESA(IR) rather than was being treated as though they were entitled, unless that’s what he means.

Charles
forum member

Accountant, Haffner Hoff Ltd, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 1442

I don’t think DWP did communicate it at the time. Like I said above, I’m pretty sure this was an unintended consequence, and if they would have realised, they would have put in some sort of saving to continue the effect of Art. 8 for those already relying on it.

Sean’s case isn’t different, because ESA entitlement for the older partner does also rely on Art 8, and should have ended once Art 8 was revoked.