to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

What’s going on with HMCTS?

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 488

I had a rather illuminating call with HMCTS earlier; they seem to have forgotten that rule 11(4) dictates that it’s their job to tell DWP that we have been appointed as rep.

I’ve spent a good hour and half on the phone only to discover that PIP don’t know we’re acting in a case and HMCTS refuse to acknowledge that they should tell them as much. “email the processing centre” was the only advice the call handler could give me, and where it’s taking 6 weeks for the processing centre to read their emails that’s not what i wanted to hear. “Don’t worry we’ll email them now” just like the rules say they should, would have been better.

/rant

Stainsby
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Plumstead Community Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 628

I never bother calling HMCTS these days, I always use the webchat

That way you get a transcript and you can also of course give the operator chapter and verse (such as rule 11(4)) and there will be a record of any nonesense replies to your comments should you need to complain

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 488

Stainsby - 09 January 2023 04:46 PM

I never bother calling HMCTS these days, I always use the webchat

That way you get a transcript and you can also of course give the operator chapter and verse (such as rule 11(4)) and there will be a record of any nonesense replies to your comments should you need to complain

I didn’t think the webchat was still a thing. Have you got a link?

Stainsby
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Plumstead Community Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 628

The start point the same as for submitting online appeals

Click the “start now” tab and you will then see the “I cant find the benefit I am appealing” link, but underneath that there is a link ” contact us for help”

If you click on that link it brings the webchat link up

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Heard through the grapevine at the end of last year that the North West was down to either 8 or 12 clerks depending on who you believe. Pretty much explains everything right now. I remain staggered as to how HMCTS remains brilliantly incompetent at predicting levels of need over the decades and how somehow it remains the case that the tail - the administrators - continue to wag the dog - the judiciary.