Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Does DLA assessment vary with different forms of haemodialysis?

derek_S
forum member

Benefit Service coordinator, Guinness Northern Counties HA

Send message

Total Posts: 38

Have a client who is receiving haemodialysis in a satellite or minimum care unit.

I am aware that dialysis in a full renal unit is regarded for DLA care purposes as in-patient hospital treatment and effectively disregarded for DLA care assessment - whereas home dialysis is treated differently.

However my client says he effectively does all the dialysis care himself including, as he puts it, plumbing himself in and inserting needles and catheters. (I believe nurses provide some sort pf hands off/on call supervision in this unit).

I had not heard of these “satellite” units before but they seem to be half way between renal unit dialysis and home dialysis.

Does anyone know how satellite unit dialysis is assessed for DLA care?

Hoofer
forum member

halton CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 18

the key factor with DLA is not necessarily where dialysis is done but whether the client has attention needs in connection with it, as majority of equipment is designed to be self-operating and in absence of other conditions which affect ability to operate machinery then unlikely there will be an award made

i have a case at the moment where client is due to start dialysis at home on a nightly basis as she is single mother with disabled son - client queried re: son’s supervision needs at night whilst she’s “hooked-up” and whether that will qualify her for DLA - i advsied not as it is her care needs that will be considred not the care she gives her son

derek_S
forum member

Benefit Service coordinator, Guinness Northern Counties HA

Send message

Total Posts: 38

Thanks Hoofer what you say makes sense - but clearly I am confused about dialysis.

My reading of the regs and recent NICE reports are that there is a clear distinction between home dialysis and dialysis in a renal unit.
The regs state clearly that dialysis is accepted as requiring attention. The stated excception is where the dialysis is provided in a hospital (or similar institution) and the attention is provided by NHS staff. Alternantively it is implied that all home dialysis must have another person present for supervision / attendance.

Am I looking at old regs or have the regs not caught up with the self administered type of modern equipment. or if the dialysis is largely self administered (wherever it is) can a MRC award be expected?

Hoofer
forum member

halton CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 18

have you got access to the Disability Rights Handbook?

35th edition p23/24 has a good summary, and states the 2 main types of “at home” dialysis - CAPD and APD are designed to be done without help. if the unit attended is run by non-hospital staff then client may qualify if the machinery isnt of the above type, but if its hospital/NHS staff then the care is already being funded - thats how i read it anyhoo