to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

DLA - New BIP?

WR Adviser
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Community Law Service, Northampton

Send message

Total Posts: 83

Hi, since Christmas I have seen 3 clients all of whom are on DLA high rate care and mob, all of whom have been sent an identical letter which opens by saying that the unit “has received information which casts doubt on [their] ongoing entitlement to DLA” and requests that they return a new form within a week.

For 2 of them, there is no evidence been sent to me which does anything of the sort, and 1 I am still waiting for the decision on so haven’t asked for evidence yet. Although I note the letter states that they will not disclose this “evidence” as it came from a confidential source.

Has anyone else seen any of these? 2 of them are clients I have known for years - seem very genuine and nothing suspect going on with them. I am starting to wonder if there is a new Benefit Integrity Programme going on by the back door.

Rob Price
forum member

Principal Welfare & Income Officer, Shropshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 18

Sarah,
I’ve had a similar experience. A guy on HRM was stopped at customs, Dover, on return from booze/fag run before Christmas with his wife and two friends. They had a lot of stuff for personal consumption, and the HMRC guy said he’d report him to DLA unit, as he was driving at the time.  He got the form and ‘confidential source/Data Protection Act’ letter in January and was given 2 weeks to return, with threat of award ending if he didn’t. We went two weeks over deadline, DLa wasn’t stopped. His award has since been confirmed as continuing.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3139

See the discussion titled “son of bip or malicious neighbours” on this forum dated 23/11/10.

WR Adviser
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Community Law Service, Northampton

Send message

Total Posts: 83

Thanks Nevip - did have a quick look but not as far back as November.  Obviously I was late in starting to see them!  One client has had award removed completely (following EMP visit) and I await copy of that report.

Obviously there will be more of these to come.

dbcwru
forum member

Darlington Welfare Rights, Darlington Borough Council

Send message

Total Posts: 114

Ive had a couple of these, but all been okay when forms have gone in.

Stevegale
forum member

Torbay Disability Information Service, Torbay NHS Care Trust

Send message

Total Posts: 342

We had a couple last year, but nothing this year. One claimant withdrew his longstanding claim altogether as he felt victimised.

Ryan Bradshaw
forum member

Leigh Day, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 110

2 of these myself in the last month, both involving high rate components.

New DWP policy?

nevip
forum member

Send message

Its called the Correctness Programme Initiative.  And no, I’m not making it up.  When we came across this last year my colleague googled it and found out more.  Being going since december 2009 apparently.

[ Edited: 25 Mar 2011 at 01:57 pm by nevip ]
Ryan Bradshaw
forum member

Leigh Day, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 110

Some days you wish you had never read 1984

Matthew Finch
forum member

Senior Welfare Rights Officer, Leicester City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 27

I’ve just come accross one of these letters this morning at an advice surgery. The client says he’s been having a dispute with the next door neighbour over their teenage son’s music. It culiminated with the police being called and the music stopping. A few weeks later a letter comes through the door saying “We have recently received information which casts some doubt on your continuing entitlement to DLA”

Obviously a coincidence,

I wonder how often people try to settle scores with vexacious allegations which are in confidence?

nevip
forum member

Send message

One day I was 8 years old, playing footie with my mates in the street outside our house and a head full of rubbish.  The next day I woke up and found out I was 51 with a head full of a different kind of rubbish.

CorbyCAB
forum member

Corby CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 11

I had 2 of these in the last quarter of 2010. Both substantial awards and both unaltered as a result of the new forms being submitted.

One case was almost certainly down to “benefit envy” from the client’s neighbours; the reason for the other review remains a complete mystery.

Pete Jayes
Older Persons Outreach Worker/Home Visitor

Matthew Finch
forum member

Senior Welfare Rights Officer, Leicester City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 27

Nothing to stop you playing football in the streets at 51.

Well, traffic maybe and I’m only 39 and my knees are already iffy! and there are lots of signs saying NO BALL GAMES but apart from that…..
You have to have a head full of rubbish if you’re a Welfare Rights Adviser.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

DM’s for goalposts…

ib
forum member

Supervisor/caseworker - Malvern Hills District CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 57

I have had 2 cases this year, one MRC, HRM, the other HRC, LRM.  The first had the whole award - which had been made only weeks earlier - removed after an EMP visit and we are going through an appeal, very very distressing.  The second we have only just filled in the form.