to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Issues about the UC regs

chris smith
forum member

HB Help, Sussex

Send message

Total Posts: 82

Can anyone help me with these issues under UC?

1) How are charges for garages treated?
2) Does the benefits cap apply to both rents where the claimant is fleeing violence, is in a refuge and the refuge is exempt accommodation- so HB is claimed on it whilst UC is claimed on the normal home?
3) Do non dependent deductions still apply when a non-dependent is temporarily away but still treated as part of the extended household?  If so, are there issues about whether or not it would be better to argue that they have gone for good?
4) Has the possibility of getting payment for a notice period after a tenant has left disappeared?  If it has, does this matter, given the rules about payment in arrears?

FIT Advisor
forum member

benefit advice officer, three rivers housing association, co durham

Send message

Total Posts: 144

Think too early to answer ..... we await the guidance, but for sure ‘simplicity’ is quickly going out the window.  Pleased to see that the service charges we know and love are there in the draft legislative regs….with lots of scope to argue what should be allowed.

chris smith
forum member

HB Help, Sussex

Send message

Total Posts: 82

I think it should be in the regulations somewhere- after all the guidance will be just that.

My tentative conclusions are that

* separate rent on garages is excluded
* the benefit cap applies to cases where one of the homes is exempt accommodation
* there is no allowance for a period of notice
* the non dependent deductions will still apply while people are treated as temporarily absent and that there will be real advice issues about whether it is better for people to say the person has left and take the bedroom tax or LHA hit or whether to take the non-dep deduction.

But I’m interested to see what others think