to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Universal credit savings in the Autumn statement

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

Total Posts: 842

The Chancellor George Osborne has really pulled a rabbit from a hat with his autumn statement today. He announces that due to changes in universal credit earnings disregards being pegged at 1% from April 2014, there will be savings of £640 million by 2015/16.

Which is a pretty good amount of savings to make from a benefit that hasn’t actually even been introduced yet…....

See 1.164 for details Fairness

[ Edited: 6 Dec 2012 at 01:20 pm by Paul Treloar ]
DoINotLikeThat
forum member

Warwickshire Welfare Rights Advice Service

Send message

Total Posts: 26

I think that government ministers and economists must have to suspend all forms of reality when writing these documents. It’s a pity that the rest of us have to exist on the other side of their parallel universe and suffer the consequences of their trips through the “looking glass” !

[ Edited: 6 Dec 2012 at 10:01 am by DoINotLikeThat ]
mickd123
forum member

Leicestershire Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 73

What is the plan for Pension Credit uprating?

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Remember the Govts objective is that people will always be better off in work than on benefits (whispered very quietly) if they are earning over £150,000 p.a.

Everyone will be better off, but some will be more better off than others.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3139

Yesterday, my pastry chef demanded a pay rise.  He said that due to the rising cost of living he could no longer afford to live on the minimum wage.  I had him thrashed.

Peter Turville
forum member

Send message

Only thrashed, that will only encourage other staff to ask “can I have some more please”!

nevip
forum member

Send message

I rather regret doing it now as he appeared to enjoy it.  Why only this morning I caught my butler walking around in stockings and suspenders.  Standards here at Flogham Hall have really started to slip.  That’s what happens when you shift the proles out of inner London to the shires.  We need more people like this chap keeping them where they are.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/dec/04/london-homes-rich-poor-communities

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2015

I blame it all on central heating.

If these people started properly, up chimneys, we wouldn’t have these problems.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

I rather regret doing it now as he appeared to enjoy it.  Why only this morning I caught my butler walking around in stockings and suspenders.  Standards here at Flogham Hall have really started to slip

Nevip, sometimes I worry about you. Mind you, sometimes I worry about all of us.

nevip
forum member

Send message

I’m not allowed to have scissors you know.  As a child even my imaginary friends wouldn’t play with me.

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

Total Posts: 842

Sorry to butt in with a serious point but rather proud to say that the revered Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) released their assessment of yesterday’s Autumn Statement and had this to say:

“Also announced were cuts to the proposed value of Universal Credit – savings from changing the assumptions about the parameters of a benefit that doesn’t yet exist.”

See the introductory remarks from Paul Johnson IFS Autumn Statement 2012

Now, I’ll let you get back to the flogging and flailing…...

Peter Turville
forum member

Send message

Paul Treloar - 06 December 2012 04:56 PM

Now, I’ll let you get back to the flogging and flailing…...

Oh Paul, you’ve been away from the ‘front line’ for too long and lost all sense of reality.

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 511

“fairness is also about being fair to the person who leaves home every morning to go out to work and sees that their neighbour is still asleep, living a life on benefits.”

The poor neighbour can’t be that well off, apparently he can’t even afford curtains in his bedroom.

Peter Turville
forum member

Send message

What about all those neighbours who are fast asleep after a night shift (for example, cleaning MPs offices)?