to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Housing Benefit- new address, not yet “registered”

Jo_Smith
forum member

Citizens Advice Hillingdon

Send message

Total Posts: 338

My client was told that she cannot get (pension age) HB because her accommodation is not “registered”
I am not sure what “registered” means in HB terms (except maybe as HMO). Client is renting a room in a property. Property itself is fine, can be easily found as a postal address, but client’s room is not registered separately anywhere.
Can someone enlighten me about this “registration” problem? Is it perhaps an admin issue for the HB department- if they can’t find the property, they can’t pay for it?
Client has got tenancy agreement and the landlord is happy to cooperate with the LA. LL is a privately owned tenancy management group, does not reside with client. There are 5 rooms in the property. Property is registered as HMO.

[ Edited: 19 Dec 2022 at 11:56 am by Jo_Smith ]
Prisca
forum member

benefits section (training & accuracy) Bristol city council

Send message

Total Posts: 211

sounds like the HB side want each room to have its own property ref to pay HB whereas ctax will just need 1 property ref because its a himo… def an admin issue for the LA rather than any real reason HB cant be awarded - i would suggest they make an award on he prop ref they have and then amend if each room is given a property reference.

Jo_Smith
forum member

Citizens Advice Hillingdon

Send message

Total Posts: 338

Perfect, thank you so much Prisca.