Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Research - Housing Benefit Accuracy Award Algorithm

JHurfurt
forum member

Head of Research and Investigations, Big Brother Watch, London

Send message

Total Posts: 7

Hello!

As a brief intro I run investigations for the civil liberties campaign group Big Brother Watch - last year we published an investigation into automation in welfare and now we’re looking specifically at the Housing Benefit Accuracy Award algorithm and how the computer system is automatically flagging people for Full Case Reviews.

We’ve discovered some of how the system works and obtained some early data that suggests the system leads to a lot fewer changes in HB entitlement than the DWP’s pilot billed - but we’re missing a key piece of the puzzle which is how the FCRs triggered by the algorithm are impacting at the grassroots. I’m posting on here as I’m really keen to speak to advisers who are dealing with these algorithmically-triggered reviews to understand how people are impacted and share what we have found already to help people understand how decisions are reached about them.

If anyone wants to know more about our work on the algorithm or chat confidentially about how they’ve seen the HBAA impact people, I’d be really keen to chat to you! I’m on .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).
Have a great day
Jake