to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Case manager management

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 481

Starting to wonder if there is any oversight of what case managers do. Increasingly we get responses which are just made up. Latest example “you can’t request a reconsideration until the sanction has ended”.

We know it’s wrong, how many claimants without access to advice would?

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3577

Happy to collate any examples of journal messages like this and send up via stakeholders - if you can email them to me (with client details if poss so they can see it for themselves) I will raise them all

Rosie W
forum member

Send message

Daphne - 02 July 2024 10:45 AM

Happy to collate any examples of journal messages like this and send up via stakeholders - if you can email them to me (with client details if poss so they can see it for themselves) I will raise them all

Thanks Daphne - I think we can certainly do this for our corporate appointee clients; probably not for others as it would be difficult to get consent to disclose details as we are a second tier service. Could add them as anonymous examples?

I’ll speak to colleagues and see if we can get something together.

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 488

I’ve just spotted this. Cases such as Rosie’s highlight why a brief pre action letter can be a useful and cathartic tool. Highlighting staff shortcomings via the legal team might be an effective way of eliciting change…

Rosie W
forum member

Send message

Dan Manville - 18 July 2024 12:09 PM

I’ve just spotted this. Cases such as Rosie’s highlight why a brief pre action letter can be a useful and cathartic tool. Highlighting staff shortcomings via the legal team might be an effective way of eliciting change…

Thanks Dan. In that case all it took was a snippy message on the journal and it was sent to a DM that day and the decision to overturn the sanction came within a week.

I take your point that although that produced a satisfactory result it does nothing to address the culture in UC of case managers making stuff up and effectively making decisions themselves.

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1038

Daphne - 02 July 2024 10:45 AM

Daphne thanks for your help with our sanctioned client i.e. encouraging DWP to deal with MR and make a decision (they did it in record time).

So we can help client appeal the sanction.

For wider afield social policy reasons - her NHS MH counselling service assessment findings included. ‘My main problem is my anxiety. This is triggered by the job centre’.