to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Staying on UC if circs change ...?

SarahJBatty
forum member

Money Adviser, Thirteen, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 345

Morning.  I’ve read this thread where Daphne has provided answers from DWP regarding changes of circs once on UC

http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/7143/

Just wondering if there is any up to date position from DWP or any experience of this happening where someone on UC because initially met the gateway conditions but then their circumstances change so that they become a person who wouldn’t now meet the gateway if they were a new claimant, withdraws or is advised by DWP to withdraw their UC claim, and goes back onto ‘legacy bens’?

Apparently DWP have said at a briefing that they would be able to potentially return someone to legacy benefits if they are vulnerable.  Examples being asked at training are things like a single JSA claimant becomes homeless or moves into supported housing or becomes a carer for a disabled child.

Thanks

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3577

operational stakeholders meeting tomorrow - will see what they say there…

SarahJBatty
forum member

Money Adviser, Thirteen, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 345

Thank you Daphne

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

Hi Sarah

No-one at the meeting was able to answer the query so i have emailed it in to the UC team - will let you know when I get a response.

FIT Advisor
forum member

benefit advice officer, three rivers housing association, co durham

Send message

Total Posts: 144

Any update on this, important that there is clarification.  Been told that there are elected claims for UC where there are children included…..which seems unlikely

Paul_Treloar_CPAG
forum member

Advice and Rights Team, Child Poverty Action Group

Send message

Total Posts: 550

Daphne - 19 March 2015 01:10 PM

Hi Sarah

No-one at the meeting was able to answer the query so i have emailed it in to the UC team - will let you know when I get a response.

let me know if/when you hear Daphne please?

i’ve mailed various enquiries on UC and despite promises, we haven’t heard a dicky bird.

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

Sorry - I had a reply last week but posted it on a different thread - http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/7434/. Here it is again -

The policy is that once you are on UC and your claim is live you remain on UC whatever the changes in your circs.  If you are vulnerable and have ‘supported exempt accommodation you may receive UC and legacy Housing Benefit (not the UC Housing Element).  The other situation is that if you are on UC and then come off because you close the claim or your income is higher than the threshold – we hold your claim open for 6 months, then close it. If you subsequently become sick after closure you would go onto sickness benefit, had the UC claim remained open and you report sickness, then UC would pay the benefit.

From what they’re saying here there isn’t an option to go back on legacy benefits.