Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

JSA conditionality problems - case examples needed by W&P Select Committee  

Ken Butler
forum member

Disability Rights UK

Send message

Total Posts: 234

Hi,
I’m posting this message on behalf of Steve Fisher Chair of Trustees of RSI Action - the national RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury) charity -

“I attended the Work and Pensions Select Committee (W&PSC;) debate on ESA and WCA last Thursday, and ask rightsnet users if they can provide any specific case details where JSA conditionality has been a problem for those with disability or health conditions.  The W&PSC; have been invited by the minister to submit these case for him to investigate. 

Anne Begg and her W&PSC; did a great job in highlighting many of the problems of this benefit. The Minister (Mark Harper) however is not moving from his Government response of November last year. However he has invited the W&PSC; to give him specific cases where JSA work coaches are not using the flexibility he states they have to accommodate JSA claimants with disabilities or health conditions.

This has particularly become a problem now claimants who have been found fit for work and wish to challenge the WCA decision, now have to claim JSA until the DWP have undertaken a “Mandatory Reconsideration”.
Please send in details of specific cases which can be used by Ann Begg and Kate Green to submit to the minister. Please send these cases to me –

Steve Fisher at RSI Action - .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

or they send them direct to Ann Begg and Kate Green (if so it would be helpful if you can also let me know that you have sent case details onto the W&PSC;).

Many thanks
Stephen Fisher
Chair of Trustees
RSI Action
http://www.rsiaction.org.uk/