JSA/ESA housing cost links??

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1005

Im trying to sort a clients housing costs and i need a wee bit of help

He was on IRJSA and housing costs were inc in his applicable after 13 weeks

A rather nice chap from Jobcentre Plus informed him that in March he “should be on ESA” and recommended he close JSA and claim ESA.

My client hadnt a clue that Employment and Support allowance was a sickness benefit, he thought it was a different type of unemployment benefit and did what he was told.

5 weeks later due to lack of sicknotes (he has no health issues) they closed his Income related ESA claim and he then reclaimed JSA. I will be making a complaint about this as a separate issue

I know you have to be on an IR benefit for 13 weeks to allow housing costs to be considered but are these housing costs transferrable and linked between IR benefits or do you have to wait 13 weeks when you make a new claim?
The DWP are sorting out his housing costs as we speak but i dont want him to miss out on the 5 week period that he was on IRESA.
His ESA claim wasnt disallowed, it just never got to payment, and then closed after week 5.

Thanks again, as always!

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

I’d be inclined to reclaim JSA and request backdating. Check out CPAG p.456 for linking rules. You are treated as entitled and receiving JSA for any period you were entieled to or receiving IS or irESA.

I suspect some ESA was paid as one can self-certify for a short period (7 days I think).

His ESA would have been refused as he failed to provide supporting evidence. He should be notified of this - although I am aware JCP doesn’t always do this.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1005

He has reclaimed JSA and the claim is running

His housing costs stopped when JSA claim closed and ESA claimed instead

I was wondering if he was still entitled to housing costs when his new ESA claim was started (now closed) or whether his 13 week wait starts again every time you switch income related benefits