Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement / DLA mobility component.

Matthew Finch
forum member

Senior Welfare Rights Officer, Leicester City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 27

Hi, Has anyone encountered anything like this before?

I have a Service User who is 81 and gets a War Disablement Pension with a number of Supplements including a War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement which is not paid as he has a car through the motability scheme. He doesn’t get Constant Attendance Allowance. He has delevoped new health problems and made a claim for Attendance Allowance.

He has just received an award letter awarding him DLA!  mid care and high mobility. The award letter states he won’t be paid the mobility component as he has a motability vehicle.

This seems wrong, my understanding is you can’t be paid both the mobility supplement and DLA mobility at the same time. May be the fact that he’s not actually being paid DLA mobility is what allowed this to happen.

And then there’s the fact that an 81 year old completing an AA form getting DLA.

If any one can tell if this is what should have happend or not please let me Know

Matt Finch
Leicester City Council

ClaireHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, CMH solicitors, Tyne And Wear

Send message

Total Posts: 186

you sure he wasn’t already on DLA anyway from before he was 65?  in which case the dla continues ....

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

That’s what I was wondering. It’s possible he already had underlying entitlement to HRM (overlapping with his war pension mobility supplement).

Matthew Finch
forum member

Senior Welfare Rights Officer, Leicester City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 27

Hi,

It is possible he was already getting DLA high rate mobility which as mentioned would overlap with the war pension mobility. I shall have to dig deeper as my client was unaware of it if he was. Either that, or someone dropping a clanger!

Matt Finch