to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

refusal of NINO

TJi
forum member

Welfare benefits - Oldham CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 39

I have a client who’s JSA and HB/CTR   joint   claim   is being delayed due to the refusal of a NINO .  Cl is a Romanian national and is finding it difficult to prove her ID .  Her partner already has a NINO .

The only   documentation she has is some form of a certificate of identity issued in Ireland under the Criminal Justice Act 1994 (  where she first arrived and not sure whether acceptable evidence )  and a Romanian card (not ID ) used for voting purposes.  Unfortunately ,  she says that her Romanian ID card was taken at the time when the certificate document was issued in Ireland and has never been returned despite several requests made .

DWP apparently have not accepted the documentation and   refused a NINO due to insufficient proof of ID .  Client has not had a written decision yet for disallowance of the benefits . 

I have had a look through DWP - SNAP guide of other supporting documents that may be accepted . Unfortunately , Client does not have any other ones   as they are mainly on partner’s name and non- dependant son . The only possible one is a NHS card but I think this may not suffice .

I am now going to ask her to contact the Romanian Embassy,  which is in London,  for a replacement of her ID card. This may be a   lengthy process .  In meantime, the only option I can think of is to   request a   short – term benefit advance (as benefit entitlement is likely ).  But , this may only help for short –term.
My question   is :  Is there anyway the claims can be processed on a temporary NINO ?  I know that sometime ago this was possible   with some benefits   but am unsure whether it is now .  Does anyone know or can suggest any other remedy ?