to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

JSA “disallowance”

MaggieB
forum member

Dorchester CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 278

Don’t deal with JSA very often so any help appreciated. 45 mins on phone to DM today to try and unravel what has happened with this client. JSA not in payment and numerous letters do not mention the word sanction but just say “we cannot pay…as you have not met your JS agreement..”
The DM explained that there has been a series of “disallowances” over a 6 month period but no sanction decision. Client has been paid a few odd weeks during this time.  He explained JSA is not paid whilst (good cause?) considered; then as no sanction applied client has to reclaim as claim is technically dormant.

I can’t find any mention of disallowance as opposed to sanction in CPAG or any other source.  Can DWP suspend and not pay for a period while case is looked at but then not put into payment if sanction not applied? 

Not sure how we’re going to challenge at this point as client is consistently not meeting agreement and we have yet to get to bottom of current situation (DM is investigating further and calling me back)
Any ideas gratefully received. Thanks

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Sounds like a load of old tosh to me.

In my experience, claim is suspended whilst they consider whether or not to apply a sanction (standard ‘a doubt has arisen’ letter issued at this point) and terminated when the (usually inevitable) sanction decision is made (and decision letter- of sorts anyway- issued). If no sanction decison is made claim should be de-suspended and go back into payment.

In your client’s case I would put even money on there having been a series of linked sanction decisions. I find that the decision letters, especially when one sanction folows another, are often inadequate, incomplete or don’t materialise at all.