to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

Estranged 17 yr old

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1004

I have a client who called to say her IS had been suspended.

She has left the family home in December (i suspect her parents threw her out)

I called DWP to be told that she was in receipt of Income Support as an estranged young person who is in higher education.

She quit college in january before the claim was made, so official error may mean any overpayment non recoverable, however it looks like they will close her claim due to not satisfying the condition of being in further education.

She isnt 18 until next March , so are there any other benefits that she can claim?

Thanks, in advance

SamW
forum member

Lambeth Every Pound Counts

Send message

Total Posts: 439

Severe Hardship Payments of JSA?

benefitsadviser
forum member

Send message

I was under the impression that JSA can only be claimed at that age as part of a joint claim where the other claimant is 18 or over?

I hate mondays!

Nicky
forum member

Supervisor Welfare Benefits, Barrow-in-Furness, Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 239

She may qualify for IB JSA on a discretionary basis if she would otherwise be in severe hardship….so what Sam said really….JSA hardship payments.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Send message

Thats what she is now doing but she is complaining that she will have to wait for 3 weeks before she gets paid.

Sorting out food banks etc for her.

She doesnt see why she should go to college or even find a job. That will change under JSA i suppose.

She just wants benefits with no strings attached and doesnt see why she has to “do anything”

Kids eh?

I see sanctions….......

Pretty depressing really.

Its not her fault that she was obviously brought up with such low expectation or aspirations. Very few opportunities in Sunderland these days.
Unemployment up by 5% up here. Even the DWP couldnt massage THOSE figures! I bet they tried though…
Ho hum

[ Edited: 1 Jul 2014 at 03:56 pm by benefitsadviser ]