to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

CIVIL PENALTY JSA

WB-room
forum member

ashfield cab, sutton in ashfield

Send message

Total Posts: 51

My first experience of a client having one imposed, £50 for failing to produce a document in time. has anyone experience of appeaing these penalties. My cl did not produce his docs as the Jobcentre was closed for a bank holiday and he was instructed to sign on 2 weeks later than usual !!

WB-room
forum member

Send message

tactics, case law,, personal experience of dealing with them

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1004

Reading the directive (for those without CPAG guides to hand) It states that the penalty stands unless you have a reasonable excuse. I would appeal on this basis, as the cl was advised to come back 2 weeks later, and therefore could not have supplied the information in a reasonable time?

WB-room
forum member

Send message

Thanks, I have capg but it’s very thin on CPs. well my cl has apepaled and is all fired to take it as far it goes so at least we will get some experience in pursuing it. it does seem like a disproportianete penalty , £50 fine for a £70 overpayment. and as it’s C/JSA it is not really overpaid as he is entitled to 26 weeks benefit so if he is not entitled this week due to income he can add another week onto his claim period and get it later !!