Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC and older workers

ruthch
forum member

Senior Welfare Rights officer Tameside Welfare Rights Service Greater Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 59

The Resolution Foundation has published a report showing the mixed benefits of UC for older workers, highlighting that while some will gain, others will see their incentives to take extra hours of work sharpley reduced under the new scheme.
http://www.resolutionfoundation.org/publications/getting-universal-credit-and-older-workers/

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2015

Bit of an odd paper, I think.

Their proof reading, I hope, missed the bit that says:

“On the one hand, UC will reduce the incentive to save because it will include a capital means test. This will mean that UC is withdrawn gradually from people with more than £16,000 in savings.”

I’m also confused by:

“This is because while tax relief on pension contributions for a couple peaks continue to rise until the point at which both are working full-time, the reduction in their combined UC award lowers correspondingly leaving them with a lower net additional income.”

There are some statements that seem to be plain wrong, for example:

“For those working fewer than 16 hours per week, no single adults either under 60s or over 60s receive WTC. Under UC all such individuals will receive a benefit award. Therefore their final income is higher under UC than under the current system for both age groups.”

Where, of course, Universal Credit can be wiped out by earnings quite easily; and

“For those working more than 30 hours, both over and under 60s receive some working tax
credits. However neither group will receive any UC entitlement.”

It will be a bit worrying if Universal Credit isn’t payable to those working more than 30 hours a week

The big omission is that nowhere does it mention that older people CAN’T get Universal Credit once over QASPC.  That’s currently 61 and a half but lots of the examples in the paper are showing Universal Credit for people aged 61.