to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

R2R query - advice needed

Brian JB
forum member

Advisor - Wirral Welfare Rights Unit, Birkenhead

Send message

Total Posts: 472

Client Estonian/Latvian (she says Estonian, documents say Latvian) national who came on work exchange to UK in 2004 – met man of Pakistani origin, and they went back to Pakistan 2004 and married. Returned to UK 2005 and he claimed asylum. Husband was granted indefinite leave to remain at some stage. Child of marriage (now nearly 2 years old) has residence permit with indefiinite leave to remain issued on 11th March 2012. Husband left last autumn – client now thinks this is for good and that he has gone to Pakistan. She has tried to claim income support but was refsued.

We advised her to claim JSA instead and that claim is yet to be decided.

She had some work under the registration scheme but the certificate was issued on 26 June 2008 and I dont think she stayed anywhere near a year in the job. Her husband was on ESA.

Is there any case to be made for income support decision to be appealed. Apologies if something is obvious but last day before annual leave, my two colleagues are off and I have got loads to get clear, so can’t properly research it

Thanks

Brian

Brian JB
forum member

Advisor - Wirral Welfare Rights Unit, Birkenhead

Send message

Total Posts: 472

Thanks very much for the reply - I have just got back in after leave so apologies for not posting my thanks sooner. We did advise her to claim JSA as soon as she contacted us and, hopefully, that is being sorted out.

And yes I agree fully - she will be better off if she can get 16 hours work and I think, subject to getting child care, she would take anything