Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Client has R2R as family member for PC but HB refused

PCLC
forum member

Benefits Supervisor - Plumstead Law Centre, London

Send message

Total Posts: 240

Hi all

Client aged 65, French national with residence card as family member of her French daughter, who is working in UK. They used to live together but daughter has a one bed with her own child, so client moved out and rented privately.

Client on GPC. HB refused due to R2R!

Obviously I can challenge the Council’s R2R decision, but simplest way to deal with it would be to argue she is still passported to full HB thru GPC, which is still in payment.

Can anyone tell me the Reg that obliges the LA to award full HB if passported via GP?

Many thanks

Robert Haigh
forum member

Assessment Team, Lewes District Council

Send message

Total Posts: 24

please correct me if I am wrong, doesn’t the LA have to apply the HRT (and RtoR) test it’s self.

I am unable to find the regs or guidence that requires a LA to follow the DWP’s (HRT) desicion (most of the time a LA will follow the DWP to save time and effort)

[ Edited: 31 Mar 2011 at 05:44 pm by Robert Haigh ]
PolicyPrincess
forum member

Operations & Advice Manager - Citizens Advice Taunton

Send message

Total Posts: 427

hbinfopb - 31 March 2011 03:54 PM

The Regs that require the LA to follow the DWP’s HRT decision are the ones I cited in my first reply ... but only where the DWP’s decision is to award IS/JSA(ib)/ESA(ir)/Pension Credit.  It doesn’t work the other way round - if DWP rejects the claim on right-to-reside grounds, all that means is that the Council has a claimant who doesn’t get a DWP “passport” benefit and all matters then fall to be decided by the Council for HB/CTB purposes.  But when the DWP gives a favourable decision, that is binding on the Council by virtue of the Regs cited above.

Agree completely and there is ample case law to support that this required approach.
Chaos

PCLC
forum member

Send message

Thanks for all the responses - I had covered the bases in that daughter is still working and client is still dependent (just about) on her.

I take the point about the LA potentially querying her R2R with the Pensions Service, but they would need some evidence to do this(which they dont have) - also her residence permit would have to be revoked, would it not? And thats not likely to happen given daughter is still working and that is the main thing the Borders Agency would be interested in.

Stainsby
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Plumstead Community Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 628

See paragraph 23(2) of CH/3079/2007

“(2)  Where Regulation 10(3B)(k) and Regulation 7(4A)(k) apply a local authority is not allowed or required to make a parallel decision as to whether the claimant is a person from abroad.  The terms of those regulations do not permit the local authority to treat the claimant as a person from abroad where the claimant is in receipt of income-based JSA.  .....”

[ Edited: 4 May 2011 at 05:33 pm by Stainsby ]

File Attachments

PCLC
forum member

Send message

Thanks again for all the responses - the LA have reviewed their decision in the client’s favour - I was anticipating the LA taking up the issue with the DWP but this has not happened - pessimism is a natural by-product of this job when you have been doing it too long….