Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Research into perceptions of wellbeing during WCA process for people deemed severely functionally disabled at previous WCA

Ros
Administrator

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 1325

Request from David, a PhD student at Lancaster University -

My name is David and I am a PhD student at Lancaster University conducting research into individual perceptions of well-being during the work capability assessment (WCA) process for people deemed severely functionally disabled (LCWRA) at their previous WCA.

The aim of the project is to gather narratives from the participants that can be analysed and the findings provided to the Centre for Health and Disability Assessments (CHDA) who conduct the WCAs for their knowledge.

The study will involve an initial brief telephone discussion, so the researcher can ascertain the following criteria are all met:

- Working age (16-65).

- Male or female in England.

- Deemed to have severe functional disability at a previous work capability assessment (WCA), and are now   undergoing the re-assessment process.

- Speak fluent English language.

- Have the mental capacity to speak on their own behalf at interview.

Once it is established that the criteria are met and the participants consent to participation, there will be a one to one interview face to face, or via telephone or Microsoft Teams (telephone or Microsoft Teams interviews are more likely taking into account the current pandemic). The plan is to interview participants on two occasions, before the WCA and after the WCA, so perceptions of well-being during the re-assessment process can be taken at two points in time.

There will be no incentive payment for participants, but travel expenses will be covered if travelling to a face to face interviews and refreshments provided at face to face interviews. Additionally, some of the participants may find it a positive experience to reflect on their perceptions of well-being during the work capability re-assessment process or want to provide their perceptions to CHDA.

If you, or someone you’re in contact with, are interested in taking part or have any questions, please contact me: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

I can’t be 100% sure but think I remember a man called David Fassioms worked for IAS or CHDA and conducted WCA’s in the West Yorkshire area a few years ago. Can you ask if he is the same person? Whilst I don’t see particular problem with this, I think it is only fair that people know in advance if it is.

Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

Why would the responses only go to CDHA, and not other assessment providers?

[ Edited: 10 Dec 2021 at 11:18 pm by shawn mach ]
David Fassioms
forum member

PHD student, Lancaster University Department of Health Research

Send message

Total Posts: 2

Hi Ruth,

The research is specific to work capability assessments, which are all carried out by CHDA. I believe any other assessment providers are for different benefits, for example, PIP.

Thanks,

David

David Fassioms
forum member

PHD student, Lancaster University Department of Health Research

Send message

Total Posts: 2

Good Evening,

Yes, I work in West Yorkshire. I am currently working my notice period and leave the business in February 2022. I am moving to a sector unrelated to the benefits system.

The research is through Lancaster University and all data gathered for the research will be anonymised. There will be no personal details provided to CHDA or the DWP.

My place of work and background will be fully discussed and disclosed at a meeting with participants prior to them giving consent to participation, which was a key part in the University ethics application to ensure no conflict of interest and to reassure all participants that they can speak freely.

Thanks,

David