Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

EDP and Conts ESA

GCH Tenancy Sustainment
forum member

Tenancy Sustainment Team Gloucester City Homes (GCH)

Send message

Total Posts: 42

Hi All

I have a client who is in receipt of ESA, her letter states income related amount is £114.10 (Standard rate plus SG), however as entitled to conts ESA they will pay £114.10. She is doing permitted work and HB are taking the wages into account so not full benefit.

Should she be getting the Enhanced Disability Premium as a top up of Income Related ESA which would then trigger full HB? States her ESA claim has been live since 2017 so assuming it is ‘old style’.

Thanks in advance

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

How much is she earning? With cbESA being counted in full as income for irESA even a very small amount of (permitted) work would wipe out the additional £17.20.

GCH Tenancy Sustainment
forum member

Send message

But aren’t the earnings disregarded under permitted work? Normally between 80-100 per week.

Or are you saying that if she was on IRESA she would get £131.30 plus full HB and earnings. Whereas on CbESA she gets £114.10 and partial HB? Seems illogical…. but then again this is the DWP?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3260

The EDP should be included in the calculation. If she is left with a non-zero amount of irESA after accounting as appropriate for earnings, then she also gets passported to HB.

[ Edited: 3 Nov 2021 at 12:26 pm by Elliot Kent ]
GCH Tenancy Sustainment
forum member

Send message

Thanks Elliot.

The EDP is not showing on the award letter calculations so will call ESA to get this rectified.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3611

Surely the permitted work should be disregarded in full for both HB and irESA so there shouldn’t have been a reduction in HB in the first place?
(tho obviously good to get edp added too)

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Sorry, for some reason I had it in my head that earnings in the higher permitted work were taken into account for ibESA (but not for cb).

Re-reading it I don’t know how I came to that conclusion.