to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC & free school meals (England)

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Does Education Act 1996 s512ZB & The Free School Lunches and Milk (Universal Credit) Order 2103 No.650. still apply (see CPAG p860)? I can’t find anything that recinds this provision.

LA are not including UC in their list of qualifying benefits or application process - “by law we cannot accept any other benefit”

I

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2970

Advanced search on legislation.gov.uk shows the 2013 Order as the only piece of legislation in existence to contain text matching its name.  This suggests it has not been revoked and that UC, with no strings, is still a prescribed benefit for the purpose of 512ZB(4)(a)(iv) in England: if the 2013 Order had been revoked, there would be another SI referring to it but there isn’t.

Maybe someone with a westlaw or lawtel etc subscription (Claire Hodgson??) could check whether that’s correct.

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

HB Anorak - 08 June 2017 07:16 PM

Maybe someone with a westlaw or lawtel etc subscription (Claire Hodgson??) could check whether that’s correct.

sorry, i have neither subscription, i only have Lexis Nexis for PI only (it’s a cost thing, of course).

However, it appears to still be in effect

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/650/contents/made

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

worth reading the explanatory note

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/650/pdfs/uksiem_20130650_en.pdf

basically, if you’re on UC, your child should get free school meals.  end of.

there appears to be no difference between those in work on UC, and those not in work on UC

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Thanks each. Confirming my understanding that nothing has changed (yet). Have engaged with LA about their incorrect info. As we go ‘full service’ early in the 17-18 academic year they really need to engage with the issue inc. how claimants will prove to LA satisfaction they are on UC!