Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

Income Support and teenage parent

Norm
forum member

Include advisor, Womens Health matters, Leeds

Send message

Total Posts: 4

Hello,

I have always advised my teenage parents that they can apply for I/S @ 29 weeks pregnant.

Today when I went with a young woman to make a claim, we were told by the J/C (via Connexions) that she couldn’t make a claim until the baby is born and that until then her mother, who she lives with, needs to make a claim for extended CB and benefits for the young woman.  She is 34 weeks pregnant.

Has this change just happened?  Or are they talking nonsense?

Many thanks

tony pickering
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Derbyshire County Council, High Peak

Send message

Total Posts: 108

The rules haven’t changed - it’s still from 11 weeks before expected week

You can tell them that it’s Para 14(b) of Schedule 1B to the Income Support (general) Regs.

Tony

Norm
forum member

Send message

Thank you very much.

I really appreciate that

I shall insist on an appointment then!

Norm
forum member

Send message

Once again we’ve been told that due to the extended child benefit period running from 1st September until Nov, she can’t claim.

Its the first time I have ever heard of this.  And I agree, the regulations say that she is entitled.

Curious

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

Total Posts: 842

The parent can choose to claim for the extended CHB period, but it isn’t a requirement as far as I know. So if the parent hasn’t claimed, I think that they’re wrong quite simply.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3139

Potentially they are right.  A qualifying young person who has left education is treated as in relevant education and cannot claim Income Support until the end of their terminal date for CB purposes.  So you need to find out when her terminal date is.  This will be tied to when she left school.  If her terminal date has passed then she can claim.  If not then she can’t, unless she can bring herself within one of the provisions of reg 13 (to be read with reg 12) of the Income Support Regs.  These provisions allow for lone parents but not pregnancy.  If her course finished before 31/8 then that is her terminal date.  If after, then her terminal date is 30/11.

tony pickering
forum member

Send message

Norm

Sorry, I forgot about the CB extension bit of your posting when I replied.  However, I agree with Paul that CB extension period only applies if parent claims - reg 5 Child benefit Regs.

Terminal date would be relevant if just left education but would have to have left after 31 August or that would be the last terminal date.

Tony

tony pickering
forum member

Send message

Sorry Nevip [and anyone else really] - I didn’t read your last sentence - you’ve already covered terminal date and leaving school.

Trying to do more than one thing at once!

Tony

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3139

Tony

You want to see me when I get going.  Trying to do ten things at once and doing none of them well.  Followed by some serious editing.

Norm
forum member

Send message

Hello,

Thank you so much for your replies. 

So, she is 16 and finished education in May (last exams in June) so terminal date should be 31st august by my reckoning.  But now they’ve changed it so that parents have to support until baby arrives. 

Never, in my seven years of doing this job, have I heard this before1

Thank you!

tony pickering
forum member

Send message

Not quite Norm!

If the terminal date has passed, which it has, she can claim IS herself, as long as her mother has not applied for the child benefit extension.  The rule has not changed.

Tony